Notices

2K3 Accord - Any updates on Egg/Sulfer smell?

Old 07-16-2003, 11:05 AM
icey012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sucks

i am scheduled for my first oil change fairly soon - when i go in for my free oil change (whoa thanks guys...i spent 28k on a car and all i get a free oil change)...i will ask them about the problem and what they can do for me...
i mean, how am i supposed to pick up chicks if it smells like rotten eggs in my car 24/7??
Old 07-16-2003, 11:14 AM
wkjoyce

Eklypse39, would a rich fuel mixture mean the car is burning more gas then normal? Would this rich fuel mixture increase HP?

Please yall, (800) 999-1009. It might help...........
Old 07-16-2003, 11:43 AM
BigB2k3

Write honda corp of america letters too. Calling them dont always do it but if they all the sudden get 100 letters or somthing I bet they will do somthing then, lol...

I was reading owner link thing at the honda site and it says that you may not be able to compleatly get rid of the smell, but still thats not fair, other cars do not do it why do we have to deal with the shi*!!!

If ANYONE finds out a fix or what can be done about this from honda or their dealer please DO share the information.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2003, 01:43 PM
Shifty_Rick

This was a common problem when they first started putting catalytic converters on cars back in the 70's. It was usually possible to eliminate it by tuning the engine a bit differently. That was long before the days of ECU's and VTEC. Not sure what difficulties the newer technology would cause with trying to solve the problem.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:56 PM
Lager

Oh Man,, LOL This is a great post with lots of funny responses,, First of all,, your Accord is designed to run on 87 octane, someone tell you different,, its BS. Second,, too rich mixture,, If this were the case,, your check engine light would be on, because your contriol unit monitors fuel every second its running,, if the fuel exceeds then standards it thinks is correct,, it turns the light on,,You dealer tells you you have to run 93 octane, they have an unqualified person looking at your car,,Let me give you some advise,, go to your dealer, explian your problem and ask for the shop forman or lead technician,, talk to him/her ( ACK) directly, bring a box of donuts,, we love donuts !!.. Splain your problem and see if you have any better luck??I could give you lots of questions to ask that tech,, but he should know everything already and have the solution to your car.. I know I would..
Old 07-16-2003, 06:43 PM
Mr White

And until then maybe this can help....

http://www.jcwhitney.com/item.jhtml?...=19893&BQ=null
Old 07-16-2003, 06:53 PM
Foodog

ROTTEN EGG SMELL FROM CATALYTIC CONVERTE

Audi of America issued a service bulletin Group 24, #92-04 which detailed this problem. They list the cause as : the gasoline sulphur content and the characteristic of catalytic convertor to store sulphur compounds and release them during rich engine running conditions.

Switching gasoline brands may help. The Oxygen sensor may also need to be replaced to correct a fuel injection mixture problem.

I believe this addresses the rich mixture statement.
http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/exhaust.html
Old 07-16-2003, 07:28 PM
Foodog

Testing Converter Backpressure, Larry Carley, Brake & Front End, January 1999

One thing temperature measurements will tell you, however, is if the converter is working too hard. An infrared noncontact pyrometer or a temperature probe will tell you if the converter is running unusually or dangerously hot. If the converter outlet temperature is 200 or more degrees higher then the inlet temperature, it means the engine is running rich and there's a lot of CO in the exhaust that needs to be burned. A rich fuel mixture will often produce a "rotten egg" odor in the exhaust (the smell is hydrogen sulfide). Underlying problems may include an engine management system that is not going into closed loop (check the coolant and oxygen sensors, or for a thermostat stick in the open position), plugged PCV valve, or excessive fuel pressure (bad fuel regulator). High CO levels in the exhaust can also be caused by an inoperative air pump system.

More "fuel" for thought ???
Old 07-16-2003, 07:49 PM
Lager

Interesting reading Fooddog, Audis Technical Servce bulletins dont apply to Hondas, but good post anyways for Audi owners. Next post will apply for pre 1996 OBD compliant autos, and a Good info posting,, dont take me wrong, I Thank you for your time looking at dated material and posting such..Fortunatly,, all the ideas you have accumulated elsewhere and posted here will turn on the Check engine light, because they will exceed allowable fuel management protocols for these cars..Especially considering there has never been an air pump system ever on Honda automobile.. But I thank you for your posting..
Old 07-16-2003, 09:36 PM
Mx6GT91

Running rich would make you use more gas but it wont make the car faster. if anything it will be slower cause its getting too much fuel therefore making it bog. I dont think that the ECU's are making the car run rich (besides times when it needs to) Sulfer/egg smells dont mean that your running rich. it doesnt smell like that. it smells like gas just has a fainter/burnt smell and you would smoking black the whole time running rich.
my car never smelled like a roten egg and it runs a little rich. I dont even have a cat so i would smell it the strongest. When my car was on the dyno it ran very rich the first run. nothing but black smoke to redline and it didnt smell like roten eggs

im just thinking that they all got cats that dont filter that well. Im just wondering how they passed emissions. Doesnt every car have to pass emissions before sold?? I just dont know how the were sold with that smell. Im suprised that car editors didnt point this out. (C&D, Autoweek.......) Or did they point that out.

exactly .. it's rotten water in there.
ahhh, i think i figured it out. When driving the car water (condensation) builds up in the exhaust. Im thinking that the whole time driving it builds up. the water gets old and musky making the smell. when the car is driven it forces the smell out of the exhaust. The smell that your smelling (IMO) is evaporated musky/old water in the cat. It could depend on the gas used, but im sure thats not the main reason