Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New springs, with stock shocks ... how bad will the ride be?

Old 06-30-2003, 09:00 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New springs, with stock shocks ... how bad will the ride be?

i'm looking into getting a set of Eibach prokits for the Accord coupe. it says it'll give a 1.5in drop all the way around. if i keep my stock shocks, because i'm a broke bastard, how bad will the ride be?
Old 06-30-2003, 09:06 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

does there website say that they will work well with the pro-kits.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:09 AM
FlamencoBlackJ30

Since the drop is not drastic it should be fine. Usually closer to a 2 in. drop you start sacrificing ride quality if on stock. Just to complete the package why not just get aftermarket ones.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:10 AM
WarptEra

I put the pro-kit on my 03 coupe with stock dampers and it works great. much less body roll and the fender gaps closed up nicely.

plus there are no issues with negative camber or having to cut down the bump stops like on the sportline kit or another set of low springs.

-w
Old 06-30-2003, 09:14 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

the newer the struts the better it will be. since you got a 2000 i assume you have under 50K which isn't too bad. i know prokits say they work with stock, but that doesn't mean they are the best for peformance.

imo, i would still replace them since they will go eventually and you avoid paying twice for labor. you will also have a better ride.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:48 PM
UCIntegra1
5th Gen Squad... huh???

Default Re: New springs, with stock shocks ... how bad will the ride be?

Originally posted by Eklypse39
how bad will the ride be?
I don't think the ride will be too bad, but I would suggest that you save up for some performance shocks. This way, the springs will complement the shocks well, and vice versa. Basically, stock shocks are only designed to be with the stock springs. They aren't designed to take a more drastic drop. I've heard of stories where some peeps ride on their stock shocks for a LONG time and they don't blow out, whereas other peeps say that their shocks blow out after a month. Itz basically up to you, but just keep it in mind.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:53 PM
LoVeAllah2

I had the same question when I got my prokit a year and a half ago. I decided to go with the pro kit on stock shocks...not becuase I didn't want to get some aftermarket shocks...but only because performance and handling was not my #1 concern...I only wanted to eliminate the stupid gap that made my rims and car look bad. Anways, I have had the pro kit on for a while now and they have been on stock shocks. The ride is SMOOTH!!! Very close to stock. The only time I notice a difference is going over some big bumps...youi just have to take it a little slower than usual...espeically if you have rims...

In a nutshell...get the shocks if you will later becuase you will save yourself labor costs...but there is no problem with a pro kit and stock shocks!!!
Old 06-30-2003, 11:16 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

thanks for the input guys. i'm just broke right now and i feel that my car is riding WAY too high. i'm looking for a cheap fix only because i'm looking to eliminate wheel gap, not handle any better than stock.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:03 AM
SpeCKDriFt96

since we're on the subject, What is the rule of thumb when trimming down the bump stops. When i did my install, all i did was a 50%cut. Is that too much ore should i take another 25% off?
Old 07-01-2003, 02:50 AM
Virus
team / Xtreme Destruction

Default GET SHOCKS

i was in ur position before......TAKE MY ADVICE ON THIS....GET SHOCKS AND SPRINGS INSTALLED AT THE SAME TIME TO SAVE U MONEY ON INSTALL BECAUSE U WILL DEFINATELY NEED THE SHOCKS.....STOCK CANT HANDLE IT FOR MORE THAN 2 MONTHS OR LESS....AND EVEN IF IT DOES U WILL B BOUNCING LIKE U ARE DRINVING WITH HYDROLICS!:a: :goodjob:
Attached Images
File Type: gif
viruslogo.gif (8.0 KB, 113 views)