Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tires (Yes, this is June!)

Old 06-22-2003, 06:32 AM
Bob Shiftright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter tires (Yes, this is June!)

Unfortunately, I need to mount snow tires for about 3 months out of the year. Also unfortunately, there aren't very many 17" winter tires available and none in the 215/50x17 size used on the TSX. There are, however, many choices in a 16" winter tire.

My question is this: Does anyone know if 16" Honda wheels will clear the brakes with 11.8" rotors used on the Acura TSX and 6-speed Accord Coupe? (Unlike the V6 automatic, the 6-speed Coupe comes equipped with 11.8" rotors and 17" wheels.) The Euro Accord standard tire is on a 16" wheel, the Euro R uses 17" wheels but I've not found the brake rotor sizes.

I know it snows a lot in Sweden. The Honda Sweden corporate website shows a close up photo of what seems to be a 16 inch wheel and brake assembly on a Euro Accord, the clearance looks awfully tight, but I don't know if they use the 11.1" rotors standard on the rest of the US Accord line or the 11.8" rotors.

This is a serious go-no go purchase information question! If I can't mount snow tires I'd need to park the car for 3 months out of the year!

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2003, 09:48 AM
BonzoAPD

You can always go with the package deals the tire places like tire rack have. They come on rims that will fit your car specifically.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:37 AM
Bob Shiftright

Thanks! But I already tried Tire Rack, and they weren't too helpful. Seems they're skittish about recommending sizes that aren't recommended by the manufacturer now. They must have been sued!
Old 07-26-2003, 04:44 PM
BonzoAPD

Originally posted by Bob Shiftright
Thanks! But I already tried Tire Rack, and they weren't too helpful. Seems they're skittish about recommending sizes that aren't recommended by the manufacturer now. They must have been sued!
you want to go bigger with snow tires? Snow tires should be smaller if anything
Old 07-27-2003, 02:41 PM
Bob Shiftright

Yes, taller and narrower is better in a snow tire!

Some further research indicated that the 16" wheels from the Accord or RSX should clear the rotors, the Accord P205/60 R16 tire size should also clear the wheelwells and there are almost too many winter tires available in that size to count. I'd prefer to run 16" V6 LX steel wheels with covers instead of alloys since you never know what's under the white stuff. Bent alloy wheels always make me cry!