HELP!!! Did I kill the car?

Old 06-02-2003, 06:59 PM
AcuraFanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn! That RSX motor took a beating.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Level_7

Okay, I have to wonder what exactly caused those pics above. Reving an RSX-S to 7000 in 5th is not going to do that. When I was 14, I once shifted from 5 to 2 in my uncles 1987 Corolla GT-S and took the needle almost to the tach stop pin - still running today. And I've taken my GS-R over redline tons by not paying attention in 1st or 2nd gear. Still fine.

Stop worrying, your brother's car is absolutely fine (if you were low on oil, or oil pressure - you'd be worse off ). And BTW, redline is different from rev-limit (which usually coincides with fuel-cut-off). Even though the injectors all but shut down over rev-limit, there's obviously nothing stopping the pistons from being driven by the engaged clutch.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:19 PM
AcuraFanatic

Originally posted by Level_7
Okay, I have to wonder what exactly caused those pics above. Reving an RSX-S to 7000 in 5th is not going to do that. When I was 14, I once shifted from 5 to 2 in my uncles 1987 Corolla GT-S and took the needle almost to the tach stop pin - still running today. And I've taken my GS-R over redline tons by not paying attention in 1st or 2nd gear. Still fine.

Stop worrying, your brother's car is absolutely fine (if you were low on oil, or oil pressure - you'd be worse off ). And BTW, redline is different from rev-limit (which usually coincides with fuel-cut-off). Even though the injectors all but shut down over rev-limit, there's obviously nothing stopping the pistons from being driven by the engaged clutch.
Fuel cutoff likely engaged, where as the RSX's didn't.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Level_7

Originally posted by AcuraFanatic
Fuel cutoff likely engaged, where as the RSX's didn't.
What?
Old 06-02-2003, 07:45 PM
Nathan1234
Domestic Driving Asshole

Sorry guys, but fuel or no fuel, 13-14K RPM in an RSX engine will blow the shit out of it (like the example with the oil pan full of destroyed engine metal). Luckily, it takes a little time for the engine to spin up that high so if you disengage the clutch in time, you can get away without damage.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:36 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

Originally posted by Nathan1234
Sorry guys, but fuel or no fuel, 13-14K RPM in an RSX engine will blow the shit out of it (like the example with the oil pan full of destroyed engine metal). Luckily, it takes a little time for the engine to spin up that high so if you disengage the clutch in time, you can get away without damage.
:werd:

fuel cut doesn't stop a 5th to 2nd shifting at those engine speeds. the fuel cut is for missing a gear when upshifting or not shifting in time.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:03 AM
Level_7

Originally posted by Nathan1234
Reread the original post and my reply. No one ever said something so stupid about fuel cutoff. Also, he reved it only to 7000-8000K...where did you get 14K from - do the gear ratio math. Revving it at 7000K even for prolonged periods will _not_ damage the engine.

fuel cut doesn't stop a 5th to 2nd shifting at those engine speeds. the fuel cut is for missing a gear when upshifting or not shifting in time.
No. Fuel cutoff occurs whenever the engine exceeds rev limit (not necessarily red line), period. That may occur during upshift, downshift, neutral...doesn't matter.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:25 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

Originally posted by Level_7
Reread the original post and my reply. No one ever said something so stupid about fuel cutoff. Also, he reved it only to 7000-8000K...where did you get 14K from - do the gear ratio math. Revving it at 7000K even for prolonged periods will _not_ damage the engine.

No. Fuel cutoff occurs whenever the engine exceeds rev limit (not necessarily red line), period. That may occur during upshift, downshift, neutral...doesn't matter.
Revving the motor at 7k and the dropping down to 2nd from 5th will blow the shit out of your motor. the revs wil shoot up very high. fuel cut, will cut fuel not the mechanical ability of the motor to wind up to 13k-14k rpms when the motors put into the wrong the gear at high rpms. at that point the computer is useless and it's all physics that a fuel cut will not stop. the pics are proof of what can happen.
do as you wish, but do what he did and you'll have a blown motor. the only way for honda to stop what happened is to have a lock out feature similar to what you have on 1st and reverse.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:29 AM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

Originally posted by AccordSleeper
Revving the motor at 7k and the dropping down to 2nd from 5th will blow the shit out of your motor. the revs wil shoot up very high. fuel cut, will cut fuel not the mechanical ability of the motor to wind up to 13k-14k rpms when the motors put into the wrong the gear at high rpms. at that point the computer is useless and it's all physics that a fuel cut will not stop. the pics are proof of what can happen.
do as you wish, but do what he did and you'll have a blown motor. the only way for honda to stop what happened is to have a lock out feature similar to what you have on 1st and reverse.
Ditto

Reread that post Level7, that RSX didnt simply hit 7k in 5th, he was at 7k in 5th BEFORE the downshift into 2nd. A downshift 3 gears like that puts the RPMs way higher than redline, and at a level no stock motor can handle. If he was just chugging along, and downshifted maybe the engine would have made it like maybe you did with the old Celica, but if he was screaming along which he was, and accidentally downshifted 3 gears; well the pics speak for themselves. Ive bounced off redline and hit teyh fuel cutoff several times in my TL-S, but if I manually shifted my car from 5th into 2nd, Id get the same results as above.

With the 6 speed trannies, tons of RSX-S, and Celica GTS engines have been blown sky high due to mishifts by drivers, these engines were backlogged for awhile after the cars came out just for that reason.

Ehbuddy it sounds like you did the right thing and nailed the clutch before the engine caught up, so I wouldnt worry about anything.

The TL-S / The 540i
Old 06-05-2003, 07:54 AM
skabone69

I've heard about RSX's doing that before, that sucks. A buddy of mine worked at an Acura Dealership right when the RSX s-type came out and told me one ot the mechanics took the car out to go beat on it and see what it could do and he made that same mistake when he down shifted. Completely destroyed the engine. Luckly for the mechanic Honda of America covered the engine.