Notices

1990 Honda Accord LX Manual Trans Won't Start

Old 03-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Apalachee_Accord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Honda Accord LX Manual Trans Won't Start

My 1990 Honda Accord LX, 4 Dr Sedan, manual trans. won't start. I recently replaced the timing belt, battery, alternator. When I turn the key in the ignition, the red dashboard lights come on (including the yellow CHECK ENGINE light, which goes off before the others). I hear one click (not three) and some faint whirring under the hood). But the starter doesn't start. I tested the starter at Advance Auto and it works fine. A know power is getting to the starter and the fuses under the hood seem fine. I've been reading about Main Relay solder expansion in heat, but it's Winter and it hasn't been hot. The car ran fine just this week, with no indication of any problems. Any ideas? (I'm not a mechanic. I'd really appreciate it if someone would tell me where the Main Relay is in this model.) Thanks.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:31 PM
daanno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's something to check. Mounted just above the clutch pedal are 2 switches (they look like CO2 cartridges for a BB gun). One is for killing the cruise control. The other is a starter enable switch. This one keeps the engine (or more specifically the starter) from turning if the clutch is not depressed. If this fails, then the starter/ignition circuit will not go "hot" and the starter will not turn. When mine failed I was able to make a jumper out of a paperclip and insert it into the connector on the wire harness. It worked like a champ until I could get back to my tool box. A word of caution... if this is the problem AND if you do this, then it is possible to turn the engine over WHILE it is in gear... it will lurch. Make sure the transmission is in neutral.
If i remember correctly the switch is available at Advance Auto (and the like).
Another word of warning... it is a total pain in the behind to get to and there is almost no room for tools. I think when they start building these models they put this switch on a stand and then build a car around it. It is not impossible, but if you are about 18" tall... it would be a lot easier.
Good luck
Dan