Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Accord (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord-5/)
-   -   Anyone replace wheel bearing on 6th gen yet? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord/61830-anyone-replace-wheel-bearing-on-6th-gen-yet.html)

jschmid 08-18-2005 12:42 PM

Talking about the two philips head scews on the rotor? Those suck haha. I had to drill one out the first time I did my rotors. I was even using an impact driver, but it was a cheap harbor freight one, and the bit broke apart before the screw budged haha. I had to send my wife to get me a Craftsman impact driver, and after a good soak of penetrating oil it popped the other three out real easy. I just put one screw back in each rotor with some anti-seize on the threads. I debated putting any of them in, but it does make it easier with the screw holding the rotor in place to put the caliper back on, and when changing pads. (This is just for my fronts, I have the dreaded drums out back :( )

98CoupeV6 08-18-2005 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by jschmid
Talking about the two philips head scews on the rotor? Those suck haha. I had to drill one out the first time I did my rotors. I was even using an impact driver, but it was a cheap harbor freight one, and the bit broke apart before the screw budged haha. I had to send my wife to get me a Craftsman impact driver, and after a good soak of penetrating oil it popped the other three out real easy. (This is just for my fronts, I have the dreaded drums out back :( )

I thought there were four screws? Maybe I'm losing it :oh:

At any rate, they're terrible. I almost stripped one of them before we started blowtorching the hell out of it and bent one screwdriver because it got too hot. It boggles the mind why Honda would put something that retarded into their car...everything else has been so friendly to work on. I can't imagine how bad they would have been if they had been left to rust for 10 years instead of 'only' 5 :eek:

jschmid 08-18-2005 12:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
I thought there were four screws? Maybe I'm losing it :oh:

At any rate, they're terrible. I almost stripped one of them before we started blowtorching the hell out of it and bent one screwdriver because it got too hot. It boggles the mind why Honda would put something that retarded into their car...everything else has been so friendly to work on. I can't imagine how bad they would have been if they had been left to rust for 10 years instead of 'only' 5 :eek:

Well I just know that on my two front rotors there are just two screws.
Yeah, it probably doesn't help living in the rust belt. After I got the screws out, of course the rotor doesn't budge cause cause a little rust holding it on. So I give it a tap, give it a donkey kick, give it a smash with a mini sledge, wouldn't budge haha. I seriously beat the hell out of the rotor, wouldn't budge. I finally had to go to Home Depot and buy the bolts that thread down into the rotors and press the rotor off the hub. I couldn't believe it, but that's what it took. They had been on there for 4-5 years and 60K miles or so, but still lol.

It could be worse...we could have the hub-over rotor design the older Accord have. :)

Here's the bolt specs if anyone ends up needing them: