Notices

Is it possible to replace brake pads w/o a need to bleed the brakes?

Old 04-07-2003, 11:14 AM
99accord
www.poksquid.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to my understanding... pressing the "piston" back in with a closed system can burst your lines if given enough pressure. this is why the lines are opened and then bled for any air that may be in the line...

but if everyone else seems to have no problems the i guess it's up to whomever does it...
Old 04-07-2003, 12:50 PM
95AccordEXR

you can rotate the part on the back of the caliper... it has the large "+" thing on it. use needlenose pliers to rotate it and the piston with retract
Old 04-08-2003, 06:05 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On the FRONT calipers, you just have to push the piston back in. There's no build-up of pressure. As long as nobody's stepping on the brake pedal, the fluid just pushes back into the reservoir. Make sure it doesn't overflow & make a mess.

On the REAR calipers, the handbrake mechanism prevents the piston from simply pushing in. So you have to turn it, like you're screwing it in. Be careful you don't tear the rubber dust-boot around the piston.

Front and rear, be certain you don't let the caliper hang by its hose. The weight of the caliper can damage the hose, then someday it'll burst. That's not good.

You don't have to bleed them if you just change pads. But a lot of people use the opportunity to flush fresh fluid thru the system by bleeding it. You should do that at least every 2 years, anyway. Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air & that makes it corrosive.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:21 PM
froggy 91

et tu
Old 04-11-2003, 07:42 AM
Big Chaze
Mr Clutch

The Haynes manual says that you dont have to bleed the brakes in order to replace the pads.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:55 AM
chrisexv6

I just did the brakes on my wife's Acura.....quite simple.

Remove the bottom caliper bolt and loosen the top one. Turn the caliper up and let it rest.
Remove the old outer pad.
Pop open the bleeder screw and hook on a hose leading to a bottle you dont mind getting fluid in.
Get your C-clamp and clamp it down onto the remaining inner pad, and tighten it until the piston is down all the way.
Tighten bleeder bolt.
Install new pads onto the hub in the retaining clips, then "drop" the caliper over them and tighten/replace the caliper bolts.

Took me about 25 minutes to change the front brakes this way.

Also, dont forget to replace and/or lube the brake pad shims. I also replaced the rear calipers on the same car, but made the mistake of buying cheaper quality "loaded" calipers. Without the lube behind the shims, they squeal like crazy.

-Chris
Old 04-12-2003, 08:27 PM
b12uceHuy
Jizz Maste12

Originally posted by chrisexv6
I just did the brakes on my wife's Acura.....quite simple.

Also, dont forget to replace and/or lube the brake pad shims. I also replaced the rear calipers on the same car, but made the mistake of buying cheaper quality "loaded" calipers. Without the lube behind the shims, they squeal like crazy.

-Chris
:nono: shouldnt be cheap on the most important thing on the car.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:23 PM
AccordCoup94

hey. quick question. i recently bought new brake calipers for my car and i have an idea of how to change them, but if anyone can give me the specifics on EXACTLY how to do it, please help. thanks!

this is for the front of a 1994 honda accord ex coup BTW..
Old 04-14-2003, 10:09 AM
chrisexv6

Originally posted by b12uceHuy
:nono: shouldnt be cheap on the most important thing on the car.
Heh....price isnt everything. Her dad insisted she go to Meineke for the last brake change. Cost almost as much as having Acura do it, and for some reason the car never broke right again.

Now that the Meineke pads were finally dead, I was able to replace them. Turns out they used the completely wrong pads.
My 14.00 pads are better than what they used.

And I forgot to mention this is on an '86 Legend with 90K miles. Id rather not spend 40.00 on brake pads for a car thats worth a max of 1000.00, on a good day. I plan to get rid of it soon..........its leaking oil like a sieve, and the tranny shifts so hard stuff inside the console hops.

-Chris