Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt replacement questions

Old 03-26-2010, 06:15 AM
tonyEazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt replacement questions

I am looking to do my first major mechanic job, a timing belt, timing balancer belt and tensioner on my own car 1997 Honda Accord LX, has 198K miles. I found a how to video, but it is for a Accord VTEC. So my question is this, would I change it the same way as the one the video when it comes to replacing the following, or are they totally different? The only thing i would do different is not us a torch to remove the crankshaft pully, i would use a Powerbuild 648796 Honda crankcase pulley removal tool instead.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:47 AM
tonyEazy

Has anyone replaced a timing belt on a 1997 Honda accord?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:52 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

Anytime you do a job like that you need a manual on hand. Although I have done the timing belt/engine swaps before I would not do it without a manual. I cant answer your question because I have never worked on an Accord, but I can bet that timing belt proceedure is the same for Vtec/non-Vtec models.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:26 AM
tonyEazy

Line7 thanks for the reply.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:27 AM
oilhead110

Don't use the torch, it's unnecessary, don't use an impact wrench, buy the crank pully holding tool. Replace the water pump when you do the belts. Don't rely onu-tube videos, that guy is a slob mechanic.

Originally Posted by tonyEazy
I am looking to do my first major mechanic job, a timing belt, timing balancer belt and tensioner on my own car 1997 Honda Accord LX, has 198K miles. I found a how to video, but it is for a Accord VTEC. So my question is this, would I change it the same way as the one the video when it comes to replacing the following, or are they totally different? The only thing i would do different is not us a torch to remove the crankshaft pully, i would use a Powerbuild 648796 Honda crankcase pulley removal tool instead.

YouTube- how to change timing belt in a Vtec honda accord

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:00 PM
SamVVT

Here is another DIY but it's a Civic. It doesn't have the balancer belt but gives you another perspective. You have to have a repair manual Hayes, Chilton, Autozone free guide, or OEM. Get one and follow the directions to the letter.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...elt/index.html

Absolutely change the water pump. I'd do the oil seals as well. I think the I4 turns counterclockwise?? So you'd need a torque wrench that can torque left hand.

Originally Posted by tonyEazy

YouTube- how to change timing belt in a Vtec honda accord

Thanks.