Notices

1994 Accord EX stoppped in the intersection....

Old 01-16-2010, 11:29 AM
bbq.baluyot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Accord EX stoppped in the intersection....

Hi Everyone. I have a '94 Honda Accord EX automatic w/ over 200k. Recently, morning start-ups have been difficult. I turn the ignition and cannot get the motor to start until a few minutes. Yesterday, it took me 5 minutes to start the car and drove 15 miles to work without incident. I get out of work and take another 5 minutes to get it started. I drive 1/2 miles and engine dies. It seems that I cannot keep the motor running. The ignition will turn over but just will not get the engine going.

I am by no means a mechanic but I have a buddy that dabbles a little and he asked me to see what you folks might think.

Facts:

1 - Gas @ 1/2 tank
2 - Battery is good (continues to send charge to starter, radio and lights and no evidence of a weakness that I can tell).
3 - Every now and again, while driving, the dash will go dead - no tach or speedo and the engine would die and I would just start her up again and go.
4 - New transmission 1 year ago and runs like a dream, when not on the fritz...

Any thoughts people? I am determined to get this done without going to a shop. If there are any diagnostic procedures that you know that can help identify my problem please share. Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Peace and health,

ben
Old 01-16-2010, 02:58 PM
cruzalekz

you need to figure out what missing at the time when the car acts up again.

when it dies on you again, you need to check if you have spark, if you have spark, then you might wanna check the fuel pressure of the car also listen through the gas cap hole to see if the pump is working.

if both are not there, then you might have a more involved problem such as main relay, crank sensor acting up, cam sensor issue, etc.

or maybe with the mileage that you have, the engine might be tired already. compression test

i missed your fact #3, after reading it, i think your problem is somewhere in the key cylinder switches.

Last edited by cruzalekz; 01-16-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:35 PM
bbq.baluyot

Thanks cruza! I appreciate your suggestions. I will pass along your reco's.