Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[98 EX Sedan] Newbie with a paint problem!

Old 03-11-2003, 09:30 AM
bogus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [98 EX Sedan] Newbie with a paint problem!

Hi! This looks like a great site!

I have been a past owner of Hondas, 2 Accords Coupes (89 DX & 91 LX) and 2 Preludes ( 92 Si & 94 VTEC!!!). Great cars all.

However, I went over to the dark side and got a Corvette... Mainly, I wanted rear drive and simply don't fit in an S2000 worth a damn. Call me too big! (5'11 and 250!) And a used NSX is just out of financial reach - financing and all.

My question is about the 98 EX sedans in that cool Blackcurrent paint scheme.

The problem is eroding paint. The paint above the windscreen has worn down to the primer. Right through the colour and the clear coats.

Is this a known problem? Is this a claimable situation? If so, what code words do I use with the Honda dealers?

The car in question is my brothers and his wifes'. They bought it new in the summer of 98, and the car currently had about 85k miles on it. Overall, its in very good shape. A real mechanical gem!

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-11-2003, 10:11 AM
jschmid

That's pretty weird. I've never heard of that happening to 6th gen Accords. My dad had a 72 Chev that he wore the paint down on by polishing and waxing, but it took 15 years for him to do it. He had it above the driver side doors because he always started waxing right there hahaha.

I doubt Honda will do anything because it is past the warranty, but you could still check it out.

Was there anything rubbing against the paint, like a moonroof visor or anything?
Old 03-12-2003, 06:23 AM
bogus

As far as I know, nothing has rubbed it.

Its garaged kept, too.

I know that GM had problems like this back in the late 80s, early 90s, and there was a class action brought against them. They painted a ton of cars!!!!!!

I also noticed the worn out spots appear on the back of the roof, above the rear window.

Interestingly, I found out after I submitted this message, a local has another 98 EX with the same paint, doing the SAME THING.

I am wondering if the colour has a problem with the sun down here... who knows.

thanks for the comments....
Old 03-12-2003, 07:43 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting...

Our '98 EX is "Heather Mist" - kind of like silver with a little bit of gold. It spent its first 3 year in JAX FLA & its paint is kinda soft wherever it's on body joint compound. Like some seams inside the trunk & near the taillights & inside the gasoline door.

I always thought it was some kind of fungus, but I don't know... No problems on the outside of any panels, though.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:13 AM
bogus

thats interesting. however, these worn spots are right in the middle of the roof!!!!

Still don't know the why's of this problem.

I wonder if your problem has to do with poor prep and the temp differences between the metal and the joint compounds.

oh, well... perhaps others will chime in still... the day is young.

Back to the races! (I am in Sebring FL right now... )
Old 03-12-2003, 11:17 AM
jschmid

Originally posted by bogus
I know that GM had problems like this back in the late 80s, early 90s, and there was a class action brought against them. They painted a ton of cars!!!!!!

Yeah, I have an 88 Chev and mine is about the only one around without paint coming off the doors. Mine did flake a tiny bit, but I touched it up, it's okay.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:28 PM
cwa107

Originally posted by jschmid
Yeah, I have an 88 Chev and mine is about the only one around without paint coming off the doors. Mine did flake a tiny bit, but I touched it up, it's okay.
...and you openly admit that!?!?

Anyway, a co-worker has an '01 Satin Silver Accord that has peeling paint on the passenger's side mirror. It just happens sometimes, there can be any number of variables in the paint booth - even in the factory. It might even be an issue with the primer.

My wife had an '87 Mustang with dark blue paint way back when she was in high school. She was the second owner. By the time she got rid of the car, the entire thing was down to primer. This was apparently a known problem with the primer in that color. She would have had to have the entire car stripped to bare metal to correct it.

I would pursue it with a dealer even though it's out of warranty. Honda sticks by its products. If you're persistent, you'll get something out of them, even if it's just a discount on a repaint.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:33 PM
jschmid

Originally posted by cwa107
...and you openly admit that!?!?

Hell yes.

Hands down...I'd rather drive my 88 Chev than an 88 Accord.

Not bad for a 15 year old vehicle:

Old 03-13-2003, 07:04 PM
cwa107

I'm sorry, it's not a bad looking truck.... BUT, when I think of Chevy, I just get this mental picture of a rust red and primer gray pickup truck with a confederate flag bumper sticker....
Old 03-13-2003, 07:39 PM
jschmid

Originally posted by cwa107
I'm sorry, it's not a bad looking truck.... BUT, when I think of Chevy, I just get this mental picture of a rust red and primer gray pickup truck with a confederate flag bumper sticker....