Notices

Front suspension ball joints

Old 10-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Hondapower80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front suspension ball joints

Our '02 Accord was taken to the dealer for an oil change. The SA comes back and states that the front suspension ball joints are worn/loose and wanted $525 to replace, including wheel alignment. The car only has 58k miles on it. I am going to get a second opinion this weekend, but is this normal, or is it likely he is trying to take my wallet for a ride? The car had it's oil changed 2000 miles ago, and he didn't say anything back then. Also, there are no noises, steering does not feel any different and the alignment is fine. Any thoughts?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Cousin It

To put things in perspective for you I changed the upper control arms on my 91 Accord when the ball joints wore out at 210,000 miles.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Hondapower80

Thanks for the reply Cousin. Did you notice any symptoms (ex. sounds, pulling, steering not precise, etc) that caused you to change it at that time, or was this something you found needed change during an inspection?
Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Cousin It

When I would go over bumps in the road I could hear them rattling and I could see that the grease boots were cracked. Never really felt it in the steering wheel as you tend to feel it there when the ball joints on the tie rod ends start to go.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Line7
Platinum Member

Even if you do need to replace them, my tie rods were about $15 each (OE) and took about 5 mins to replace. I still dont understand why people go to the dealership. If you must get OEM, get the parts, take it to a regular shop and watch them do it, you'll actually learn some things and wont spend a lot.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:21 AM
m735is

Upper or lower?

Looking at the parts diagram, it looks like the lower ball joint isn't available seperately?? That would make the whole knuckle $164 each. The upper ball joints are $123 each. (OEM internet prices-your dealer will be higher). Plus labor and alignment, the price doesn't sound too bad. But, if the lower joint is available seperately, it should cost $30 each.

I wouldn't get an alignment after replacing the ball joints, only the tie rods.
Definetly get another opinion, they probably shouldn't be worn out yet (either ones), but I don't know what kind of miles those 58K are.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:34 PM
xpragmaticx
chipedge

Default It all depends....

I have a 98 accord (SAme as the 2002). The dealer says that you need to replace the whole lower control arm. I got the ball joints for around 26.99 and rented the press from Advanced Auto Parts. I prefer Autozone, but the ball joint press at Advanced has 12 or so different sized cylinders in the kit as opposed to the 3 that Autozone has. The better kit's case is twice as big and ten times as heavy. It's worth it, plus you get your money back when you return it. I have to say though, that when I did mine, I took the whole lower control arm off and put it in a vice to press out the ball joint. A little easier than doing it whilst it's on the car, although it can be done. If you are not hearing any noises when you go over bumps and such then, you are fine. I did mine at 140,000K. Again, the real name of Dealerships are Stealerships. They will lie and take your money. Get the ball joints from a local store and take it to a local mechanic if you don't want to tackle it yourself.