Notices

(newbie) questions about some 6th gen stuff

Old 06-20-2002, 10:11 PM
motu
it ain't easy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (newbie) questions about some 6th gen stuff

sorry if these are repeat questions...

1. I want to get an intake for my 98 4dr 4cyl but have never really looked into intakes before so I don't know where to start or what to consider. Anyone have any recommendations or pros/cons of any particular ones? I spend most of my time up at school in Michigan (GO WOLVERINES!!) so that is where the car will be driven most.

2. I have a 5spd and was wondering if the clutch pedal was adjustable or something. It has always felt really stiff/springy...you have to apply a lot of force to get it down and then it bounces back quickly when you release pressure...just wondering if you can make it a little more smooth and forgiving...

3. What tire size do you recommend for this car. I'm currently on 215/45/17 on my Niche rims, but experience some rubbing on big bumps or when the car is full (people or luggage)?

4. I also would like to drop the car a little. Nothing too drastic, but something moderate to give the car a little more sporty look without hurting ride quality. Any suggestions? and how will this affect the rubbing problem mentioned earlier?

5. I see all these advertisements and stuff all over, but in your honest opinions and experiences, which online stores are good in terms of quality and prices?

I can't think of anymore questions for now but I probably will later. Again, sorry if these are repeat questions...if they are, just point me to the proper thread where I can get more info. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:56 AM
Accord1278

215/45/17 should not be rubbing even with full load. i got the same car as you and with the same size tires, and no rubbing. if you're rubbing now, and you want to drop your car more, you'd probably be rubbing alot more def.

i got myself a AEM cold air intake for my car. probably one the best things I ever spent money on for my car!! I'd def. recommend you get an AEM cold air intake. Since I'm from jersey, I went ahead and purchase a bypass valve for the intake as well. many people say you don't need it but, all the rain/snow we get here, I thought it was money well spent (peace of mind )

PS- FYI: there's alot of info on this board, you might just want to do a search and it'll help you out, you don't have to wait for an answer.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:55 AM
BlackAccord00

for intake, you could try the iceman(can be convert from cold air to ram air). I live in michigan too, and am thinking to take off my generic short ram and change it to a iceman...

hey, EliteAccord, can you provide that link to buy iceman intake ?

thx
Old 06-21-2002, 08:33 AM
Dracord

i live in upper michigan so i just got an aem short ram, didn't wanna worry about rain and snow
Old 06-22-2002, 07:39 AM
motu
it ain't easy

Sorry if my questions seem stupid and inexperienced....

How does the weather affect the type of intake? And also, what does a bypass valve do to help this out?

thx
Old 06-22-2002, 04:17 PM
motu
it ain't easy

Do you mean 'flood' in the literal sense as in my car sitting at the bottom of a 5 foot river, or flood as in lots of rain, with some getting under the hood?....

Am I better off getting a short ram?
Old 06-22-2002, 08:32 PM
GrooveMaster

The water level has to be high enough to suck it into your engine. not rain or snow, but standing water. Your engine can burn off quite a bit of injested water, it's actually good for it, but when the water taken in outweighs the air, your going to hydrolock. The compression ratio on your car means, the amount of air taken in on the intake, and the compressed by the piston. FYI, water does not tend to compress very easily, voil'a, blown motor.
Old 06-23-2002, 04:58 PM
motu
it ain't easy

Anyone know anything about the clutch situation...too me, my clutch pedal seems really stiff (requiring more effort than any other car i've driven) and springs back pretty quickly....is this a problem with the pedal or with the clutch plate itself?

new question....my car is coming up on 60K miles...what service do you recommend i get? I got the dealer service at 30K and in retrospect it didn't seem worth the 80 or so dollars I spent on it, so i'd like to get something thats actualy worthwhile. Any suggestions?

thx again
Old 06-23-2002, 05:59 PM
snoopy20

I used to live in Michigan...actually I was born there lol....I would not recommend Cold Air intake just for the fact that weather really sucks sometimes, and yes GO WOLVERINES! Marty Turco is with the stars, I was like heck yeah! cause I saw him play college hockey.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:44 AM
Cosmo M3
Lurker

i have the same car as you motu but mine's an auto

yeah, like all the HAN bros in here have said, get a CAI (Cold Air Intake) as your first performance mod. You can get some really cheap deals @ www.coximports.com. Free overnight shipping too! I dunno if Michigan gets rain or snow a lot more than down here in VA, but i think the Bypass Valve is a waste of money (you literally have to drive your car through a pool of water to even have a chance of injesting water!) . Besides, you lose HP from the bypass. Why spend over 150 bucks with a bypass valve when you'll be getting almost the same HP as a regular short-ram intake? If i were you and water is a major problem, i'd get a short ram intake.

btw, i have a Injen CAI intake i think it's better than the AEM:fawk: , IMO. :thumbup:

Quick Reply: (newbie) questions about some 6th gen stuff