Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coasting in Neutral is damaging???

Old 02-02-2003, 09:44 AM
F23A4_AcCoRdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coasting in Neutral is damaging???

FIrst of all, this is for all manual tranny owners or auto tranny owners that know about manual trannies. I heard that costing in neutral damages your transmission bearings because the oil is not circulating inside the tranny when in neutral. I have coasted in neutral many many many times, as often as i get a chance. Is this true and is it damaging my transmission bearings? Thanks.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:54 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

never heard that before and I cost in Neutral every once and a while
Old 02-02-2003, 09:56 AM
F23A4_AcCoRdude

honestly, i dont know how it can be bad for the tranny. I mean, its the same as idling in neutral at a standstill and obviously that aint bad for the tranny. But i heard this by about 5 people at another forum and it was all the same reason. So i was wondering what was up with that. Any other ppl that know the answer to this? Thanks.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:24 AM
patastinky

i gotta pull the BULL**** card out on who ever said that.. i coast in neutral in my 5spd.. i never heard of such a thing
Old 02-02-2003, 10:38 AM
patastinky

Originally posted by patastinky
i gotta pull the BULL**** card out on who ever said that.. i coast in neutral in my 5spd.. i never heard of such a thing
correction i am reading up on this.. and i am seeing alot of topic's stateing that it "IS" bad for your bearings if you coast in neutral
Old 02-02-2003, 11:52 AM
2k3coupe

i would have thought it would be better for the transmission because it's putting less load on the transmission when going downhill or coasting.

regardless, i think everyone that owns a manual coasts in neutral and if it was something that could damage the tranny horribly, so many people would not be doing it.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:40 PM
AadosX

What about in an auto... I have often wondered if it was a problem.. just because I dont have a clutch or whatnot.. but I dont know that much about how a car works... so I'm wondering if when I shift back into drive, does it put an unusual amount of wear on the first gear-tooth that catches it... just my common sense way of looking at it lol.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:49 PM
F23A4_AcCoRdude

woh......dont ever do that on an auto dude. Its fawkin up your auto tranny when you do that. I know some ppl who pop their car into neutral when goin on downhill fwys to "save gas" but the auto trannies werent built to take that kinda sh*t.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:15 PM
2k3coupe

yeah, i read in an article that if you have an auto tranny and if you want to save gas, you're better off just closing your windows because the damage you cause to the tranny will far outweigh the monetary savings of gas mileage.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:32 PM
captainsaveaho
lovez $avinG hoe$

it's against the law to be "coasting" in neutral with a manual tranny. please believe it. the reason why is because you're not in control of your vehicle.............that's what they say anyways.......... it's those type of laws where it is a law but they don't really enforce it.