Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda????!!!!!!?????

Old 04-18-2009, 10:29 PM
krzysiek033

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda????!!!!!!?????

Hi, I'm having big dilema. 1 year ago I had 98civic ex with 92k which I really loved, but problem with this car was the non-stop oil burning. I had to add like 4 bottles for 3k of miles. I sold this car. It was rebuilt so I thought that engine was overheated or something. Well, recently I bought 2001AccordDX with 80k and now I have to only add 3 bottle for 3k of miles. Car is spitting the oil on entire rear bumper and trunk lid.

I'm thinking about selling this car too and I dont know. Is this a way ALL Hondas run or is just my really really bad luck? I dont know if I should give a Honda another try or no. I really like their look but, is this worth it?...

Thanks
Old 04-19-2009, 03:58 AM
Cousin It

I've got 230K on my 91 Accord and I can still go 3K miles between changes without adding any oil.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:57 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Whether or not they burn oil with age depends some on the model (especially if you drive them hard or at high revs) but how they're taken care of is the main factor.

Assuming you're running the correct oil, and that the engine isn't running hot, it's mostly likely worn rings or the old, hardened seals that's causing the oil use. Normally, unless the car is abused or run on very low oil, a Honda's oil use (if it's substantial) will be due to seals, not worn piston rings.
If it was the rings, nothing you can do w/out replacing them (not cheap). If it's the valve seals, you've got options - replacing them isn't that expensive, especially if the shop knows what they're doing (meaning they don't remove the head), or you could try a product meant to clean out sludge and/or condition seals. There are high-mileage oils you can buy that are designed to do both, or you could try two separate products.

I'd also take a look at the PCV valve to make sure it isn't broken or clogged.

Last edited by A-series; 04-19-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:31 PM
thisismatt

Originally Posted by Cousin It
I've got 230K on my 91 Accord and I can still go 3K miles between changes without adding any oil.
Same, although it does use/leak some, it's not enough that I must add any.