Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Accord (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord-5/)
-   -   95 accord v6 randomly wont start (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/accord/446651-95-accord-v6-randomly-wont-start.html)

Tedmond 03-10-2009 03:38 PM

btw, you mentioned Coil, ignitor, main relay. Are those the only reason my car will not start? i know i am getting fuel because i bleed the regulator in the engine bay, turn ignition on, and check if its filled again. So i know im getting fuel. I guess im missing a spark (coil, ignitor) but any other possabilities ? i will check this tomorrow and let you know wahts going on. Thanks for the help !

thisismatt 03-10-2009 05:50 PM

Since you already replaced cap/rotor/wires then coil/ignitor are the things I would look at. By this point I would have pulled plugs and checked for spark, though, so you should do that. Might as well do it now since it should be dark or getting dark and then you can easily see if you're getting spark. I've personally had an ignitor go bad on an older model ('90) but it was to the point where the wiring would crumble in your fingers if you rubbed them hard enough.

Tedmond 03-11-2009 04:33 PM

you wont beleive this...today i had the time to check the car out. I just placed the key in the ignition and planning to check for spark. I cranked it just to try and voila it started with no problem. I cant even check for spark now because all of them work fine. I also checked resistance on the wires and they are okay. so wth is the problem? at least its driveable

thisismatt 03-11-2009 04:53 PM

Could still be coil and/or ignitor. Mine were intermittent and finally got bad enough that the car wouldn't start, ever.

Tedmond 03-11-2009 05:48 PM

any way to test it eventhough the car works without a problem? cant test for no spark since its aparking anyways.

thisismatt 03-11-2009 07:46 PM

I don't have a manual suited for your particular motor, so I can't help you there. Neither part is hard to replace, though, if you can get a spare from a salvage yard for cheap to have on standby.

A-series 03-14-2009 05:17 AM

It's not the coil itself, it it craps out it's for good, it won't be intermittent. It could be a loose connection at the coil, but you'd probably have noticed that already.

The tach. issue would suggest a problem with the ignitor. I've never heard of the ignitor/Ignition module refusing to start when cold, only when hot, after being driven, but I suppose it's possible. Did you make sure all 4 connections are on correctly and tight for the ignitor? Apparently some people have mistakenly had the connections held in place by the rubber boot, not properly slid in place. That might cause random intermittent problems.

The main relay is also best known for acting up after being driven or when it's quite hot and/or humid out also, but there are exceptions to that (as far as when it will act up). My main relay looked fine too when I checked it, but after re-flowing the solder, the starting issue in hot/humid weather improved. It didn't go away entirely though so I ordered a new main relay off ebay for $34 :shrug:

Tedmond 03-20-2009 06:07 AM

just an update, so far no more issues. I jut did a synthetic oil change, tranny fluid change, bled brake lines for new fluid, regapped plugs, new wires, and holy are the plug wires expensive as hell from honda. I spent 175+ taxes for the wires.