Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake and Power Steering Fluid Flush

Old 01-21-2009, 09:34 AM
ao_tenshi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake and Power Steering Fluid Flush

Hello, does anyone know how difficult it is to do a brake and powersteering fluid change for 2001 Accord V6? (ie similar to oil change?)

If its not too much trouble to do it myself, it would be appreciated if someone can point me to a guide or instruction somwhere

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 AM
cruzalekz

brake flush is easy but you need another person to help you out.

powersteering flush requires a machine
Old 01-22-2009, 07:37 AM
ao_tenshi

Is there a guide on how to change the brake fluid?

Question: In the official Honda Accord Maintenance Schedule, I dont see any mentioning of changing the Power Steering Fluid at certain intervals Whats the deal with that?
Old 01-24-2009, 07:08 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Originally Posted by cruzalekz
brake flush is easy but you need another person to help you out.

powersteering flush requires a machine
Not necessarily, and no it does not.

A helper is nice for flushing the brake fluid, but not necessary. Just follow the instructions in your owners or service manual and use a tight-fitting clear hose on the bleeder screw, leading to a container of brake fluid so that when you let up on the brake pedal it will only suck fluid back up into the bleeder screw.

Flushing/changing the P/S fluid is easy. First you use a baster, etc. to suck out the fluid in the reservoir, then you remove the return line/hose (simple hose clamp holding it on the reservoir).
You just insert a hose of suitable diameter (so it's a tight fit) into the return line (not the larger one that leads directly to the P/S pump). Lead that hose into a container, start the car and turn the wheels lock to lock a couple times.
You can, but don't have to, have someone (or get out yourself and do it) add fresh fluid to the reservoir as you're doing this to help flush out the old fluid.
Doing this twice should leave you with transparent brown fluid, instead of the black stuff that's probably in there now.
Genuine Honda Fluid for the P/S, DOT3 or 4 only for the brakes.

Originally Posted by ao_tenshi
Question: In the official Honda Accord Maintenance Schedule, I dont see any mentioning of changing the Power Steering Fluid at certain intervals Whats the deal with that?
That's how it is with all Honda/Acura models as far as I know. It lasts a very long time, so as far as they're concerned it isn't a regular maintenance item. Replacing it every once in a while though will ensure the seals, the pump, and the steering rack all last as long as possible.