Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Accord occasionally stalls

Old 01-18-2009, 04:05 PM
diydog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Accord occasionally stalls

Could anyone help me out with this problem? My car is 99 Accord LX Coupe V6 (J30A1 Engine). Recently it will occasionally stall about once a week, usually after 10-15 mins after a cold start. I asked a mechanic to clean the throttle and injector, and also changed spark plugs. However this problem still happens sometimes.

The idle RPM is 1000 after cold start, and then slowly goes down to about 700. Could it be IACV (idle air control valve)?

I know there's a recall on ignition switch in 2002. I checked on Honda's owner link website. It shows the status is fixed. Probably the previous owner had it fixed.

Any ideas what it could be? What else could I check?

Thank you for any help.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:24 PM
madmike73

Default Mine was ignition switch

Looking to see if other people have had similar problems. My 98 Accord would start and run fine, but every once and a while would just stall while driving. Did it once just cruising at 70 on the interstate. Sometimes as you started from a stop you would feel it stall and then restart. When it stalled at speed you could either give it gas and it would restart or shift it to neutral and start it. It is at the dealership today and they said it is the ignition module (not the cylinder and key but the electronics behind it). They checked it by starting the car and releasing the key from the crank position and when it flipped back to the run position it almost always stalled (short cut test). When they took it apart they said the contacts were burned. I am happy they found it and it wasn't anything too serious (it was about $ 220 serious).
Old 01-18-2010, 12:52 AM
heyfunny

I would also have them test the Electronic Control Module in the Distributor since that going bad was causing my 98 accord to stall randomly as well as studder sometimes when accelerating. Are you getting any CEL's?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:51 AM
cruzalekz

idle air valve will give you and rpm that goes up and down every 3 seconds.

your egr might be stuck open.