Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank Pulley Question

Old 12-14-2008, 01:38 PM
tcndeb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Pulley Question

Daughter just came by with her 99 Accord, 4cyl. It had thrown both acc. belts. I put new ones on, and it immediately threw those too. Looked at the crank pulley as she cranked the engine, and it looks like it's loose. Doesn't always center back up. What's the deal?
Old 12-18-2008, 02:54 PM
500$accord

Default Home Mechanic Issue?

I can say for myself that when I changed my timing belt and I had to take the pulley off, I found at reassembly that there is a special tool used to hold the crank pulley while you tighten the bolt.

My repair manual suggested putting a large screwdriver in the flywheel gears which is hte method I used. I held the screwdriver in place, lying under the car, while my 12 year old son pushed down on a breaker bar. I have to honestly say that I have not had a problem, but I wonder from time to time if that bolt is really up to spec.

I don't know if there are any cases of that part of the crank failing, or the bolt working itself loose... both would surprise me. I think someone didn't tighten it up to spec. Maybe whoever did the timing belt? Hopefully the only damage is the thrown belts and the timing belt gear didnt move.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:27 AM
tcndeb

She hasn't had any timing work done on it since she's had it, but she did buy it used a few years ago. So the same bolt that holds the crank pulley holds the timing gear in place?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:21 AM
cruzalekz

maybe your harmonic balancer is worn out. It has rubber part too you know. also u might need to put a thread locker in the crank bolt once u put it in. or maybe ur missing the crank woodruff key.