Notices

Help! 92 accord won't crank

Old 08-27-2009, 08:53 PM
cruzalekz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

itll be with the ff, starter cut relay, key cylinder switch, or the clutch switch.

do you know how to do voltage drop testing?
Old 09-07-2009, 06:17 PM
daanno

Default clutch switch

I had the same problem about 6 months ago. 600 miles from home in a hardware store parking lot and all my electrical test tools 2 miles away at the job site. 20 minutes of testing and elimination pointed me to the clutch switch. At the head (top) of the clutch pedal are 2 switches. One of them enables the starter circuit and the other is a enable/disable for the cruise control. I was able to disconnect the harness to the clutch switch and jumper it with a paperclip. It worked great although it was possible to start the car with the clutch engaged. Once home I changed the switch and have had no problems since. It was a total pain in the behind to get to and I ended up pulling the whole pedal assembly out and doing all the work on the bench
Another issue with/near the clutch is the little rubber bumper the the pedal stops against. Last year the little 'button' on my brake pedal disintegrated and caused my brake lights to be on all the time. The plunger on the switch was extending into the hole that the button was in. I was able to replace it with a 1/4" bolt with a friction nut.

I hope I didn't run on too long and I hope this helps someone.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Sense-A
Mentor

Default car won't crank at all - bad safety clutch switch

I had the same problem. 91 honda accord Lx manual 200k miles wouldn't crank at all. Figured it had to be either battery, starter, solenoid, bad ground, blown fuse, bad starter fuse, safety clutch switch (the top one on the clutch pedal), or bad ignition switch in the start III position.

battery checked out.
starter checked out.
voltometer reads no power to the remote wire on the solenoid.
next, test starter switch. Jump the plug with a paperclip.
Does car start now?
Okay the switch is bad. edit: "starter interlock switch" as someone else referred to it.

if the switch paperclip (jumping the switch) doesn't work, try the ignition switch next.

That's how i solved the same problem. Hope it works out for you.

BTW the switch is hard to get to. it is under the dash up high buried behind a bunch of wire harnesses at the near top of the clutch pedal.

Last edited by Sense-A; 06-05-2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: renaming a part