Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously Build F22/23-Series Engines!!??

Old 01-10-2004, 07:22 AM
AcuraFanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 96JdmAccord
I have seriously thought about it also and compared the prices to the H22. The F22 I would definetly save money just building it then swapping the H22 in. But ever since I took a fully built N/A h22 13 second accord for a spin my mind is set on the H22. You just cant beat it.

Heres the list if I did though:

HONDA 2.2(F22)PISTON:85mm/11:1 - $399
CRWR BILLET ROD:F22 - $665
DARTON MID SLEEVE KIT:F22/85mm- $599

Head??? I have no idea, I do remember a site a couple months ago selling head packages that was not GUDE.
I would say for cams, retainers, valvesprings, cam gears, P&P give it around 1500-2000 bucks?

So I would say around 3100-3600 with no labor.

Not bad but you would still need a chip set-up, fuel set-up, and labor. Still would be a fun project though. Good luck!

Jon
The real benefits with the H22A4 come from machine work if you're doing an NA setup. Talk to John (Nightshade) about what he has done. Milling the head (raise compression), 3-angle valve job (improves VE), Exude honing, etc. will get you massive benefits.

There is a lot of time and money to be spent tuning and perfecting this though.

You also want to know exactly what you're doing so you can get your timing and fuel perfect. It's a bitch. :fawk:
Old 01-10-2004, 07:35 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by AcuraFanatic
You're going to run into some huge limitations being a single overhead slammer.
depends on how well you beef internals and how much boost you run.. in a turbo app with high boost the sohc can be more advantagious then the dohc
Old 01-10-2004, 07:41 AM
mawrkymark13
Night Rider

im going to put in stock 1st gen eclipse injectors a SAFC, and a MSD boost timing master, before i was running just the SAFC and was fine but now that i am going to run more boost i am adding a bunch of fuel upgrades also, the sohc will be a good setup-less moving parts to break- i also have a Jackson boost dependant fuel pressure riser AEM fuel press. reg. and a AEM fuel rail
Old 01-10-2004, 10:04 AM
mrbrace
Goldenchild

F22b1's are f*ckin AWESOME! They are the best engine out there for the Accord's! Just freakin awesome!

I know that I am starting to build up my F22 with raceeng pistons and crower rods. I still have yet to get the rings but they are on there way! Its going to be great! Can't wait to show the H22s whazzzup.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow interesting thread and some of the responses I am seeing here are part of the reason why I decided to go H instead of building the F.

It was discouraging to say the least to try to get parts for it (there weren't so many at the time of my swap) and to hear every response being, "why bother its and f" ends up getting to you after a while. I had thought that the F could be built a little more than two years ago when I got serious about things but the mental limitations of others stopped me from accomplishing it.

I hope someone does build one screaming fast F motor and does hit some smoking times with it as an NA setup. I have seen a few fairly fast F series in Accords but nothing extraordinary at this point. I see that the market is starting to build parts for it but what may need to be done is a cross pollination between F series and H series.

Pistons should be able to swap over with a little work so instead of running 85mm pistons why not opt for a set of 87mm high domes?

Rod stroke should be close but a little measurement work and cross checking of specs may either verify this or eliminate the possibility of using a modified H23 rod setup.

Flywheels abound, as do clutches and pressure plates, valves, springs, and retainers also are everywhere.

Fuel management should be able to be run with a chip upgrade and an FPR along with a mildly upgraded injector setup.

ITB may not be an option right now but I think if you look you will be able to find a set.....instead of running that route (since you are taking ITBs anyways) why not set up a carbeurated system on it? It can and has been done and does yield ssome great gains.

The rest is in the machine work both to the block and the head, as well as the tuning and that is actually not really all that expensive.

You guys whine a lot about the cost of doing such a project...well let me tell you something about these types of projects....they are not cheap and you will lose money on them every time, this is a given in the world of motorsports. If you are scared that all your work will be a waste of money and time then it probably will be and you should leave it to those who are not scared of a little challenge....but do not tell others that it can't be done or that the only way to do something is by going FI....thats the easy way out and not everyone wants to take the easy way out of things.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:49 PM
hype8912
Dr. Klaw

Check this out

http://board.hondasociety.com/showth...3&page=1&pp=30
Old 01-10-2004, 05:42 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Yeh, that guy is my hero.
I bought the car-lift for my engine build-up and installed it in the garage last summer. then I started swapping the last of the CL/TL type-S suspension parts on my car, ended up taking the car to Honda to have new lower control arm endlinks installed in the front because corrosion had destroyed them and I didn't have time to fix them before a Chigago-TSX meet that weekend. After that I installed Satellite radio in my car and then we remodeled are kitchen and I lost Accord motivation for some time.

Ohio winters are too cold to work on my ride so it's in storage right now until at least the middle of March when it warms up again I have to finish installing a new stereo system in my car. Yeh, I know but I've been mixing MP3 and AAC files so I got hooked on bass and a single sub and JL amp in the trunk won't do that much I figure to the weight of the tank like Accord. I have to install a new lighter flywheel and clutch aswell. My pressure plate is showing major fatigue wear. Time to upgrade

Once that's finished I'm going to install Nitrous but can't decide how I want to do it yet. Do I want a small fogger kit, or direct port? I likely install a small fogger kit and leave myself room to upgrade to killer direct port like my man in the link above. His is fairly extreme for me. I intend to keep stock compression ratios because when not on the bottle I want my car to run near stock on its own ECU. I don't drive mine as daily as I would like to, but the wife and I take lots of road trips in my car. This is why I prefer the bottle over other forms of FI.

I will eventually get a built F23A1 in my car, but ever looked for parts on one of those. :naughty: They are nearly non-existant.
The built F-series has always been the goal, but darned if life's little things don't suck that money out of the wallet

I have contacts at Crane and I may have a custom cam made from a fresh blank but that means I have to cover the tooling bill.
It sucks to build an F-series Accord but hey that's life. $900 cam anyone?

I was going to use a Gude kit but after talking on the phone with them I'm not to keen on their methods.

I may end up sending my head to DPR racing in Toledo for port work. But I don't see that happening this spring/summer.

My goal would be custom pistons on OE rods. Forged piston should work fine in an OE block as long as you don't bore or machine the stock cast iron sleeve too much. I'd just have to be sure I don't use aggressive rings like our F22 friend. I don't think anyone can sleeve an F23.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:16 PM
mawrkymark13
Night Rider

well my block is done and my head is done now i just have to put them together and put it in the car just waiting for my injectors and my front mount intercooler to get her so i can finish, installed my MSD-BTM yesterday and hope to get to try it out here soon.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:14 AM
accordfreak

Originally Posted by AcuraFanatic
You're going to run into some huge limitations being a single overhead slammer.

single cam owns

f22 stock engines can handle the power if it's properly setup. I must emphasize FUEL!!!!!!!!! standalone management is not an option, it's a must.Plus a very good tuner There are too many people on pos Hacks and fmus, and they blow up soon enough.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:35 PM
eNoble
My Accord Drives Smooth.

When will the day come when someone swaps the new accord 3.0 v6 6 speed into one of your old accord projects, just think of a 95 accord with a 3.0 V6 6 speed, everybody would start talkin about 3.0s instead of an h22!