Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

all my fuses blew out!

Old 11-13-2002, 06:15 PM
AccordCoup94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All my fuses blew out! "SMALL LIGHT"

ok. heres the thing.. yesterday i was driving and everything is normal.. and all the sudden, all my interior lights went out. so i drove home to look at the fuses and i find that the one under my hood, labeled as "small light" was blown. its a 15a fuse. so i just replaced it and everything was fine. i woke up this morning and dorve to school and after about half an hour of driving, my interior lights are out again!
so i check the fuse and the same damn thing happened.. so i just replace the fuse again and now when i try to turn on my lights, the fuse just immediately blows and i have no lights. this is a big problem because it also affects my tail lights, my brake lights work, but i dont have my auxilary brake lights, that low light that you get when you click your lights once. any ideas on how to fix this?
Old 11-13-2002, 06:38 PM
SlowLow5thGen

if it's popping repeatedly that means somewhere there is a contact grounding out and it's overloading the circut, start lookin @ the wiring to all your small lights (doors, roof, tails, etc..)

have you done anything to your car recently, any kind of install, service, alteration or addition of ANY kind?
Old 11-13-2002, 06:43 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

sounds to me like you've got a short somewhere in your electrical system. Good luck on finding and fixing that prob, hope you fix it soon.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:44 PM
AccordCoup94

i did just recently install an amp and subwoofer into the car, but i dont think that should affect anything. i have to look at each individual wire for all my interior lights?
Old 11-13-2002, 08:35 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally posted by AccordCoup94
i did just recently install an amp and subwoofer into the car, but i dont think that should affect anything.
ummm ... that HAS to be it, really. check the ground on it just to make sure. it's really rare for all your fuses just to keep going out. my mom's honda is 12 years old and nothing like that has ever happened.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:39 PM
AccordCoup94

i doubt it. the amp has been in for about a week and i blew out the subwoofer. i left the amp connected but i shut it off with my headunit. i dont think the system is the problem.. theres no power running through it and it was fine like that for a week. i mounted the amp under the passenger seat and grounded it to one of the bolts that hold the seat in place. if anyone has had this problem before, please help. i just got pulled over because the cop thought i was driving without headlights. they come on, but the auxilary lights in my back are off, so it looks like i dont have them on from the back.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:58 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

when you mounted the grounding wire to the body of the car, did you chip away at the paint to expose bare metal?
Old 11-13-2002, 10:45 PM
AcsRcool
Faster than your Geo

actually, if you left the amp connected, there IS power going through it. . .quite a lot of power in fact. really its not that much different than if you were running your subs off it. The volume you hear from your sub is the result of the small signal gain created between the signal from your headunit and the output of the woofer (very simply put, EEs on the board need not apply). However, to power a small signal amplifier, you need a substantial DC power source, so while you won't be drawing any current for small signal amplifcation, your amp is still a big resistor draining DC power from your battery. I'd check all the grounds for your new amp first and foremost, then I'd see about the wiring path you chose for the heavy guage power wire. You might have a contact, or perhaps even some interference where its really not good to have it. . .

Note that this is all null and void if you can control the remote turn on lead from your headunit while the unit is actually on. Turning the sub volume down to zero is not the same thing. . .
Old 11-14-2002, 06:59 AM
phat99accord
BMW Tech

aight i had the same prob. well it only happen once but u prob took out the deck to hook up the rcas. when you took it out u might have pinched the illumination wire which caused a short and blew the fuse. first check the wires make sure that all are taped off and secure. this should be it. as for the amp it wont be draining power if you disconnect the remote line.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:07 PM
AccordCoup94

no. i can control the amp with the remote wire by turning it on and off. i dont think its the system, i mean the car was fine for the one week that the system did work and now everything is just sitting there, unpowered. the ground for the system is good. (i used one of my seat mounts on the floor) the fuse (blue 15a)that keeps blowing out is labeled "small light" under the hood, not the interior dash. wtf is a small light?????
there are a million small lights in the car.