Notices

Seafoam stuff really works

Old 06-06-2008, 09:56 AM
joeysatl
JOEYSATL MY 98 ACCORD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam stuff really works

Honda Accord 98 LX 4dr, tan/tan, 97,412 miles
Yesterday after reading threads for 4 hours, I was intrigued by the Seafoam cleansing of the engine. So intrigued, I went out to Autozone (I love that store) bought, Seafoam $7.99, NGK Plugs $2.49 each, Wires $35.99 (over priced Honda parts), Mobile 1 5w - 30 $25.99 (very over priced, but if it last as long as you guys say it does than it is worth it) and Mobile 1 - 104 oil filter $4.99.

WOW - WHAT A DIFFERENCE SEAFOAM, PLUG, WIRES AND OIL MAKE. I CANNOT EVEN HERE MY HONDA'S LITTLE CLATTER. ITS SO DAMN SMOOTH, DROVE IT AROUND...IDLES BACK TO NORM, AWESOME ACCELERATION - THE POWER IS BACK.

I followed the following:
1. Park car in a well-ventilated area.
2. Start car and run until it reaches closed loop (generally 5-10 minutes, and above 160°).
3. Open hood and unplug PCV valve - air goes from B -> A
4. Place end of hose into a shallow cup containing 1/3 of a bottle of Seafoam Motor Treatment. Allow it to suck liquid out until the engine starts to idle noticeably lower; then remove the hose from the cup. Do not pour enough to stall the engine yet. Very small sips will not stall engine..otherwise tug on the throttle cable to recover quickly.
5. Repeat the above until between 1/3 and 1/2 of the liquid has been used.
6. Now let enough of the liquid be sucked in until it stalls the engine. Make sure you stall the engine, just stick the PVC valve bottom end all the way down in the solution. It will stall.
7. Turn off ignition and let stand and complete the steps.
8. Replace PCV hose.
9. Pour the remaining 1/3 Seafoam liquid into crankcase (remove oil filler cap and pour).
10. Pour the other 1/3 Seafoam liquid into gas tank.
11. Wait a few mins more, hopefully you either do this when the neighbors are not around and there are plenty of inscects flying around.
12. Start your engine and lookout for the smoke clouds.
13. let stand a few mins to get the massive smoke cloud away. Maybe I should have had a desk fan to blow the cloud around. One of my neighbors came out ans just starred at me for ever. I then just tok out a beer and held it high and said cheers. hahah
14. Got in the car and drove around the block a few times. Of course not drinking the beer, that would be illegal.
15. I had the engine running for about a total of 20 mins then parked, turned off engine.
16. Let the engine settle and get all the crap down to the pan.
17. 5 mins later changed oil, filter, plugs, wires and love make.

You guys are correct in using NKG Plugs vers Bosch (high dollar) Plat. No difference at all...

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP.

JOEY IN BENTONVILLE/SPRINGDALE WALLY WORLD COUNTY

Last edited by joeysatl; 06-06-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:13 PM
IkeRay
Aka #5

one of the things I was told for when driving around with seafoam treatment was to bring the car to the upper RPM range, running engine at peak.

and despite what you read, all oil will only last in an engine for a set period of time, brand doesn't matter, only type (synthetic vs dino). synthetic can last in a clean engine up to 6000 miles, dirty engine 5000 miles, dino will last in a clean engine 5000 miles, a dirty one 4000 miles. sometime you can push these both another 1000 miles, but it's all on a case to case basis. to decide between syn and dino, you need to determine if you have any kind of leaks that the thinner syn oil might seep out through.

another booster, if you will, that will cause some noticeable difference is to run some higher octane gas with some fuel injector cleaner in it, either chevron w/ techron 93 or shell V-Power (93?).
Old 06-07-2008, 08:05 AM
94tincan

I too read about the seafoam and decided to do my 2 vehicles - a 2001 Accord w/77k and a 97 Jeep Cherokee w/115K on it.
I saw no difference in either vehicle after the treatment but the Jeep suddenly displayed a check engine light after about 5 miles of driving. The code is Oxygen sensor. I wonder if the seafoam has a tendency to gunk up the sensors.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:42 PM
tenaciousa
fightingarthur

I have used seafoam in my (and my daughter's) present and past two vehicles. I have never had any problems from its use, but plenty of benefits. The only vehicle I have had to replace an O2 sensor on is my current car, a 1994 Accord with 215k miles on it. I seriously doubt it had anything to do with Seafoam, just miles and time. I have used it in all types of applications, from go-carts to mowers to trucks and cars. It is also available as a spray-can product which makes the pcv valve hose and other similar uses much easier.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:48 AM
yigyyo

Can someone help me find my vacuum line. I to purchased some SeaFoam, but have not had a chance to use it yet. I'm driving a 95 Accord 4D 2.7L
Thanks
Old 07-04-2008, 12:52 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

^Locate the brake booster, the round black object on the driver's side firewall. There should be a hose coming off of it, normally has a grey plastic check valve that connects it to another hose, leading to the intake manifold.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:46 AM
losiglow

I've used seafoam in my '99 Accord and '02 Sienna. I haven't noticed a huge difference in either but they were running pretty well to start. I noticed a little less clickity clackity from the Accord which was good. Both spewed out a ton of the white smoke which was fun . From what I understand that's from the carbon deposits. If so then I probably cleaned them both up pretty well.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:59 PM
TooMuchActions

yup, i can really feel the different when I'd mixed that 16 oz. can into my 3/4 tank of gas for my 2007 accord. the engine is running really smooth and the gas pedal is much lighter than before, and I felt like the car is running a little stronger when stepping on that gas pedal.

now got to use 1/3 can for the engine and 1/3 can for the throttle body, and the rest into the gas tank of my buddy 2004 acura mdx with 90k miles on it...

Last edited by TooMuchActions; 07-12-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:00 PM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

i've had a can for at least a few months now i've never used. mostly because of i've seen how it smokes. I would like to try it but not real sure how well it works. Its a pretty abused honda so it might work well for it but maybe i'll try it at my warehouse's parking lot someday. Only thing that sucks there is the fire depo. stores trucks and has training there, i'd be so pissed if someone called the fire depo.....