Notices

2005 4cyl manual Honda Accord - Emissions

Old 05-07-2008, 05:29 AM
odyzeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 4cyl manual Honda Accord - Emissions

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me diagnose some do-it-yourself fixes related to my check engine light coming on. It's the engine light that refers to the emissions system. The light has come on several times now. It has started a few days or even a week after fueling up. I have gotten out of the car and re-tightened the fuel cap and also refueled the car. Within 24-48 hours, the light goes off. The car has 60k miles and has been well serviced, but I have not done a formal tune-up yet. I changed my spark plugs last year. I have a fairly new air filter. Someone said that I may be getting air into the system. Any ideas? Is it possible that my gas cap is leaking air?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:16 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go to AutoZone or someplace like that & have them plug in a reader to get the error code from your car. There's probably several hundred things that MIGHT cause it.

We want the actual code number. Sometimes the verbal description can be a little ... um... CREATIVE.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 AM
odyzeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions Code P0420

Hi, thanks for the tip. I took it to Advance Auto and they ran the code. The code is P0420 for catalytic efficiency. I still don't understand why when I either tighten the gas cap or refuel the car, the error code will go away.

Anyway, there seems to be some talk on this board about some Honda catalytic converters still being covered by extended warranty. My general warranty was 30,000 miles. I have 59,998 miles and my purchase date was 5/25/05. Do you think the catalytic converter will be covered under a longer warranty? I own a Honda Accord LX 2005 4cyl manual.

Two more questions:
1.) The car runs fine, so besides passing a local emissions test, does it matter to run the car if the catalytic converter is not working properly? Could I damage any other parts?
2.) What would this usually cost if warranty doesn't cover it? What's the damage???

Last edited by odyzeus; 05-11-2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Two more questions:
Old 05-12-2008, 05:31 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IF the cat gets real bad it's possible to melt itself or start a fire. But that's pretty rare. Most likely it'll be OK.

Check your warranty booklet in with the owner's manuals & that stuff. I'm pretty sure the catalyst is one of the handful of components that are covered by warranty for 8yr/80k miles. Otherwise, it's worth a phone call...

Some people will probably say it's your 2nd O2 sensor, because that's how the ECU determines whether the cat is working OK. But I've heard that even by 1998 the ECU was pretty good at figuring out the difference between a bad O2 sensor vs. a bad cat.

The gas cap thing is pretty strange. There's a couple completely different codes that would be related to that (P1456 & P1457).