Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating issues

Old 10-29-2002, 04:12 AM
Accordz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating issues

Hello ..

Just recently, when I am stopped in traffic, the temperature in my gauge slowly starts to rise up .. up to the point where it is a slightly above the half way mark. My water pump and thermostat were changed this year.

What things can I check? I know my fans worked in the summer time, but I haven't checked them recently. Is there a way to make sure both fans are working correctly? Also, would it hurt to get a radiator flush, I have 127k miles on my car .. (1997). As soon as I start moving the temperature goes back down, it happened to me this morning on the freeway when I was stopped. (Accident). It was only 60 degree's out ..

Thanks ....
Old 10-29-2002, 05:01 AM
jschmid

My wifes civic does the same thing, only in warmer weather...like 80 degrees. Still working on a diagnosis myself. Not such a big deal now that it's cooler.

If you find out, post it here, it might help me.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:11 AM
pdr
ridiculously good looking

Flush it, and fill it back up with Redline water wetter. If that doesn't work just get a Fluidyne.

You can hear when the fans come on..it's pretty distinct. If you don't think they're coming on just wire them to a switch where you can turn them on and off.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:15 AM
Baco95
that just ain't baaalla!

The same thing sort of happened to me.....over the summer I was waiting in a drive through line, and the temperature gauge slowly went up. Then coolant started coming out of the reservoir tank causing the engine to start smoking. I parked and filled the radiator back up and drove home, the temperature went down. Everything seemed fine until I let the car idle in my driveway, the temp started going up again.

This was like the first month I had the car, so I just took it to a shop thinking it was something major.....turns out the fuse for the fans blew. The guy at the shop said things like this happen whenever major electrical changes are made, like the installation of my system a few weeks before h:
Old 10-29-2002, 05:24 AM
Accordz

Great, I will go and check the fuse then, I will also schedule a radiator flush this week. hmmmm ... rather odd, damn car!!! (I love it though).
Old 10-29-2002, 04:19 PM
Accordz

Well it turns out it was the fans after all, my fan switch has gone bad. So .. new fan switch going in tomorrow.

Thanks again Guys!