Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Honda Accord Will Not Start!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Jerry Bread

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Honda Accord Will Not Start!

I suspect the problem is in the fuel emission area, possibly with a fuel filter. Now if I just could locate the "fuel filter" area I might save me a tow and high maintenance charge. I need pictures of the fuel filter area (engine) so that I can look into it, experiment and possibly replace.

Any help out there?
Old 02-17-2008, 08:26 AM
persz004

Your car won't start and you think it's the fuel filter? I doubt it -- unless you run it on empty a lot. I'm sure you have maybe checked this already, but I would first look at the battery(obviously). Make sure the battery terminals are clean and free of corrosion. Also, the starter might be bad(not a hard fix). I would suspect one of these before the fuel filter.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will it crank?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:26 AM
96 EX

Fuel Filter is on Drivers side of bay, follow the PS HP line down and you'll see the banjo bolt and hose staring back at you under the Master Cylinder.

10MM hard line on the back side ... fun to play with the gasket on that side ... I personally don't put them back in on the back side.

There are many possibilities to the no start, but start with the basics of fuel supply and spark and go from there.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:35 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly, highly doubt it's the fuel filter unless you've been having intermittent fuel problems for years...it takes a long time to clog those bitches
Old 03-01-2008, 09:03 AM
edyik

My 96 Accord wont start either. It seems the starter has seized, I tried to jump start it and nothing, it wouldn't even crank. Any information on how to replace the starter will be greatly appreciated, I can see the starter but it looks like a few things need to be pulled out before I can get to it, especially the one bolt in the back.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:17 PM
96 EX

Remove as much as you can out of the way, the back bolt is fun ...

Get a Haynes manual ... and be sure to disconnect the battery or you will be seeing white spots everytime you close your eyes
Old 03-02-2008, 09:45 AM
edyik

I removed a few things (battery, air duct, loosened a harness) yesterday and still unable to reach the back bolt. Do I need to remove the distributor also?

That's the part I am worry to mess up.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:03 PM
edyik

Success at last!!! I was able to replace the starter and it's running again.

Here are the steps I followed:

Removed the battery.
Removed the air filter cover to allow the duct to move.
Removed the back side of the coolant hose (it's the one above the starter), you won't be able to remove the starter if you don't do this).
Removed a small black box that seems to be an air filtering device (this is not the one that houses the air filter).
Removed the distributor and spark plugs wires (there are 3 bolts), and make sure not to move the rotating prongs. I had a little bit of difficulty to put it back in place but if you align it properly, it should go right back in easily.

Now, the moment to loosen the two bolts holding the starter. The front one is pretty straight forward, the back one I had to use a longer socket to allow the wrench to move. Once you have them removed, it's pretty self-explanatory to pull out the starter.

I took the starter to Autozone to test it and it was indeed the culprit of my unhapiness. I bought the remanufactured starter for $109.99 and left my bad starter.

Installed it and it's working now.

Total spent: $119 (including taxes) and $62.75 for towing = $181.75
Old 03-03-2008, 04:34 PM
96 EX

Originally Posted by edyik
Success at last!!! I was able to replace the starter and it's running again.

I took the starter to Autozone to test it and it was indeed the culprit of my unhapiness. I bought the remanufactured starter for $109.99 and left my bad starter.

Installed it and it's working now.

Total spent: $119 (including taxes) and $62.75 for towing = $181.75
Many before you have done worse for much more ... way to go.