Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Absorber - Genuine vs OE Replacement

Old 02-15-2008, 09:42 AM
webie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock Absorber - Genuine vs OE Replacement

Since the stock shocks have over 96k I planning to replace all of them and then have the car aligned.

I called to a Honda exclusive parts store and they told I should be better with a $65 KYB OE replacement. The sales representative also told me that the original Honda shocks are also manufactured by KYB.

Is this true? Should I be better with the $65 KYB instead of a $120 Honda originals? Should I expect a any difference between originals and KYB?

Honda Accord 2000 EX - 4Cyl Coupe
Old 02-15-2008, 10:16 AM
BONE

You need shocks already? Is the car lowered because I have an 88 Accord with the original shocks on it. If you car is factory height you should be able to ride forever but if it is lowered then I understand because factory shocks are not a good idea for a lowered suspension.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:41 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KYBs are fine.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:19 PM
webie

Originally Posted by BONE
You need shocks already? Is the car lowered because I have an 88 Accord with the original shocks on it. If you car is factory height you should be able to ride forever but if it is lowered then I understand because factory shocks are not a good idea for a lowered suspension.
It's not lowered, it's completely stock suspension.

Since a few months ago, I started to notice a strange sound (like a metal click) coming from the rear driver side when driving a cornering at low speeds. A friend of mine told me that he had the same sound on his car and it was a blown shock.

The dealer supposedly replaced all my 4 shocks when I was almost to the warranty limit of 36k. Now my car has 132k that's almost 96k with the stock shocks. I think the damage to my shocks may came from the many potholes in my area or maybe the SCUBA tanks in my trunk (4-8 times a year) in a 2hr round trip to the boat.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:29 PM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

Your shocks are gone at 96k?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:31 PM
BONE

Originally Posted by evolution
Your shocks are gone at 96k?
my point exactly
Old 02-15-2008, 01:34 PM
BONE

Originally Posted by webie
It's not lowered, it's completely stock suspension.

Since a few months ago, I started to notice a strange sound (like a metal click) coming from the rear driver side when driving a cornering at low speeds. A friend of mine told me that he had the same sound on his car and it was a blown shock.

The dealer supposedly replaced all my 4 shocks when I was almost to the warranty limit of 36k. Now my car has 132k that's almost 96k with the stock shocks. I think the damage to my shocks may came from the many potholes in my area or maybe the SCUBA tanks in my trunk (4-8 times a year) in a 2hr round trip to the boat.
Its just not common for the factory shocks with no modification to the suspension to go bad. I would look in the forsale forum on this site or try ebay and find some decent used ones good luck.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:07 PM
webie

I'm at the Honda Dealer right now performing the 3k oil change maintenance (5k in my case). The service advisor told me that they will check all shocks free of charge.

Just in case my left rear is bad, Should I replace both rears?

I was searching around and talking with some friends and the general consensus is to replace only the faulty one or in pairs. But replacing all 4 doesn't make sense. I think in pairs is the way to go, any advise?
Old 02-15-2008, 02:25 PM
nspec_Cd5

replace both rear.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:30 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would replace all 4 unless you don't care how the car handles...

also this is not too difficult to do yourself if you have a garage.