Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I control my HID's?

Old 10-18-2002, 04:58 AM
Hardaway33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I control my HID's?

How do I control my HID's?

I recently installed HID's into my car off of a totalled Audi. The only problem is that it lights up the entire thurway, and I don't want to be an idiot and blind other drivers or cause an accidient. Is there a way to concentrate or focus the beam? Maybe using projectors, but I heard that they suck from other people. What can I do? Any input is great.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:45 AM
1StGenCL
Mi Doggie

Umm...aim them
Old 10-18-2002, 09:17 AM
usc

blasphemous.

the problem isn't d2r or d2s. the problem is he salvaged the HID from the audi. meaning the base of his d2s aren't modified to fit the 9006 socket. the focal point is completely off which is why he has a high-beam like lighting.

yes, even beam-pattern corrected d2 bulbs will produce glare. but the light he's putting forward right now is beyond the definition of "glare", due to the focal distance being off drastically.

hardaway: you want a fix? get 9006-based d2 bulbs and then you can have better luck aiming them.

oughta do more research.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:18 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

D2R, D2S... dosent matter... I tried both in my housings, with the same results.

Dosent matter if you have regular D2R capsules, or capsules that are fitted to a 9006 housing... you get the same results... the arc isnt that far out of place with a D2R bulb to matter.

HID's are very intense, thus you will get a ton of light out of them... explaining why everything is lit up. You will have to aim them to get the best output from them... but no matter what, you will have glare. This is because the headlight housing is not made for an arc type light source. Also, being the housing is designed for the much less defined beam of a halogen bulb... you'll never be able to get the beam pattern of that of a factory HID equipped car, meaning you'll always have "hot spots".

You can look on ebay for damaged audi or bmw HID headlights... get them and pull the projector out of them, and transplant it into your cars headlights... that way you will get the proper output on the road, and no glare for other drivers.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:23 AM
usc

no, they don't fit w/o some modifications. but most people who ghetto salvaged bulbs don't know that they need to trim down the base so that the arc bulb sits deeper into the housing.

the d2r doesn't produce less glare in retrofitting cases because the top 1/2 of the reflector is projected onto the ground. the lower 1/2->1/3 of the reflector is where the light shines forward and upward. d2r strip is mostly there in OEM reflector HID applications to help provide a sharper horizontal cut-off. OEM reflector HID lamps have built-in underbelly shields to block out the bottom.
Old 10-18-2002, 02:27 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

i forgot... factory HID systems also have self leveling systems that constantly change the height of the light with varying roads.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:21 PM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

Getting "funcional" light output from HID's is alot more compicated than simply gluing some HID bulbs into your headlights, and hooking up the ballasts.

Given everything you wrote, I agree with USC, and say your best option is a plug and play kit rather than mess with what you have which is right now unsafe for you and everyone else on the road around you.

The TL-S / The 540i
Old 11-01-2002, 04:46 AM
Hardaway33

Thanks guys for the informative input, but what if I ordered aftermarket projector headlights, would that control them better than stock? But I have been hearing some bad things about aftermarket projectors though. I have the HID's in my car and there are definite hot spots. There has to be a way to concentrate them without having to do some serious mods to your headlghts. SOMEONE PLEEEESE HELP!!!!
Old 11-01-2002, 10:25 AM
usc

aftermarket projectors are usually H3 bulbs. they're about the size of a peanut. you'll never be able to squeeze a HID bulb in there properly without cutting it up. besides, the "bad things" you've heard about aftermarket projectors are all true. so why bother screwing things up even more. they're for show only, and function like crap.

you're still in denial about the HID's. only way to do this right is to spend a good chunk of change, which you weren't willing to in the first place or else you wouldn't have ghetto-rigged salvaged Audi HID's to begin with. a number of solutions have been proposed already.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:51 AM
tommyboy
ImportXpression OG

this is the funniest question. who would want to control their HID?
My boy's 8000K HID blind everyone he loves it