Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice with 97 Accord transmission problem

Old 01-29-2008, 04:51 AM
PaulBaldwin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice with 97 Accord transmission problem

Stumbled upon this site and it looks great. Wish I would have found it years ago.

Anyway, I have 205,000 mi. on my 97 Accord. I've owned it for 2 years and have had very few problems and haven't had to spend much on it at all except routine maintainence.

The one problem that I do have with it is a fairly substantial ATF leak that started a few months after I bought it. I have had to replace about a quart of fluid every month or so. (and I haven't been using Honda ATF fluid either, see I should have read this board sooner). It gets annoying having to replace a quart every month but still better than spending big money on a rebuilt tranny.

But now the big problem is the other day i started noticing some more serious tran problems that haven't happened before. When it got very cold out it took a minute or two for the car to shift into gear after startup.

And 3 days ago I almost got stuck after a night out. While driving about 40 MPH and also on the highway, the transmission (I think) started acting up. I would be driving and the car would start to lose speed. I had to really rev the engine while car was moving on Hwy. (went up to 5 or 6 rpms) until it finally kicked into gear. This went on several times until I finally made it home. Before I got home I put in two bottles of ATF but same problem. My trip home was little dangerous and got hairy with the traffic flying past.

So now I've only tried driving it once since then, just around the local neighborhood and it is OK at first but then when I have to go a little faster it seems like I'm just spinning my wheels. Took awhile to kick into gear again and again and this happened until I finally parked. Also, it barely made it up a slight incline.

If anyone can advise on what the problem may be or have any remedies I'd be much obliged. If I can save big money on having to get new transmission thats even better. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:40 AM
m735is

Where's it leaking from? Although that may not matter anymore. It sounds like it's slipping in addition to the hard shifts when cold.
Mine also shifts hard when it's cold, but it's on it's last legs.

Since you say you would need to replace the tranny to fix the leak, sounds like you will have to do that anyway. Do the torque converter and flush the cooling lines out as well.

If it's leaking from somewhere else that can be repaired inexpensively, then I would replace that and do a tranny drain and refill with Honda ATF. Drain/ refill, drive for a couple days, repeat. Three times total. If you try a drain and refill, note how much if any black crap is on the magnetic plug. Wipe it off and reinstall. If all else fails, try some Lucas or Tranny Rx.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:21 AM
PaulBaldwin

Originally Posted by m735is
Where's it leaking from? Although that may not matter anymore. It sounds like it's slipping in addition to the hard shifts when cold.
Mine also shifts hard when it's cold, but it's on it's last legs.

Since you say you would need to replace the tranny to fix the leak, sounds like you will have to do that anyway. Do the torque converter and flush the cooling lines out as well.

If it's leaking from somewhere else that can be repaired inexpensively, then I would replace that and do a tranny drain and refill with Honda ATF. Drain/ refill, drive for a couple days, repeat. Three times total. If you try a drain and refill, note how much if any black crap is on the magnetic plug. Wipe it off and reinstall. If all else fails, try some Lucas or Tranny Rx.

Thanks for the response m735! And I will try what you said.

Well I'm not sure of the exact spot where the ATF is leaking from all I know is that its leaking. I can often see the red fluid on the ground and when I check the ATF dipstick its often low. When the fluid level is low it struggles to shift into gear. Also, I'd say I have to add ATF about every month or so. After I put in some fluid its as good as new. I've tried various transmission "leak-fix" products but it doesn't seem to solve the leak problem.

So there is def a leak and I can live with adding a quart of ATF every month (it sure beats the alternative of spending thousands) its just that in the last couple of days the car is basically undrivable (as I described in my first post above) and although I'm no expert I'm sure its a tranny problem. JUST TO REITERATE, FOR SOME REASON THE TRAN PROBLEM IS A LOT WORSE NOW THEN WHEN I MERELY JUST HAD TO ADD SOME ATF FLUID. IT WAS ALWAYS DRIVABLE BEFORE, NOW IN THE LAST FEW DAYS I CAN BARELY TAKE IT AROUND THE BLOCK.

And one other question, I only know how to do the basics on a car. What is the dificulty level of draining the ATF myself, and also the torque converter and cooling lines?

Also what stores carry Honda ATF. From other posts it seems like its important to use only that fluid and I haven't been since I've had this car.

Is there anyway to save myself from having to drop close to $2,000 bucks for a new transmission? Help me Honda-acura.net, you're my only hope! Thanks again!!!!!!!

Last edited by PaulBaldwin; 01-30-2008 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:45 PM
m735is

Unless you're in for a crash course on tranny recplacement, don't worry about the torque converter and cooling lines, your mecahnic should do that stuff.
It can't really leak from too many spots, but you should at least find out if it's just a rubber cooling hose going to bottom of the radiator, a shaft seal, or worse. If the leak is something that can be replaced without tranny removal, then I would do that.
Since you've tried to fix the leak with a sealer, you will have to drain and refill three times. The sealer may be doing more damage to the tranny than just the leak was.
Honda ATF is dealer only. It's about $6-7 quart! You will need alittle less than three quarts for every drain and refill.
There's a drain plug on the passenger side bottom edge of the tranny. A 3/8 ratchet drive will fit in there. You may want a new aluminum crush washer for the drain plug also from the dealer.
Fill it back up through the dipstick as you have been. Us ethe correct proceedure to check the level and drive it for a week or so, then repeat.
I use Haynes manuals for my Hondas, they seem to cover most things. For anything else, there's always the forum.
After your first drain and refill, clean up the tranny area and see if you can't the leak.
Hopefully the money spent on drain and refills won't be just wasted, but t least you can try.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:05 PM
PaulBaldwin

Thanks m, great info, clears up some things. Will try to do what you advised and report back!