Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I'm getting my timing belt replaced....

Old 01-18-2008, 03:14 PM
xpragmaticx
chipedge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm getting my timing belt replaced....

And I've learned a lot from these forums. I'm overdue @ 135k, so when tax return comes back, I'm taking it in. My question is this: Should I have any other work done on the engine while they do the timing belt? I'm getting a new o2 sensor also and doing that myself, but I don't feel I have the expertise or tools to do a timing belt. Thanks.

Oh, the car is a 98 Accord EX 2.3.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:07 PM
nspec_Cd5

make sure they change out all the seals and gasket (ex. cam seal, cranck seal, etc)
Old 01-21-2008, 05:56 PM
xpragmaticx
chipedge

Default What about price.....

I do all of my minor work, myself (tune-ups, 02 sensor, stereo) so I have never even taken this car to a shop yet. How much can I expect to pay, ball-park figure. And I don't want to spark a huge debate of dealership vs. Joe's garage here, but first trip to shop in almost three years, should I just take it to dealership? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:25 PM
losiglow

First, I'd highly recommend the dealer for this job. I've heard way too many stories about Ol Joe's garage screwing it up. Honda's are picky ass cars sometimes and going with the dealer will both assure it's done right and provide you with a warranty on service if something isn't right when you get it back.

Expect to pay $500-$800 for the job. Here in Utah the cheapest of the three dealers we have in SLC will do it for $560. But in other regions I've heard as high as $900, though I think those people didn't shop around.

Typically when they do it they suggest the water pump as well. The part is cheap and requires no further labor to change, though if it goes later they'll have to charge all the labor they do for the belt and you'll be screwed. It's a good investment to do it when they do the belt. They'll most likely tell you this but if they don't then ask for it specifically. Typically they'll also replace the cam and crank seals as nspec mentioned but if they don't say anything about it bring that up to.

You may opt to have them adjust the valves if you don't want to do it yourself. They'll likely charge you an hour or so labor to do it. If they're not excessively clacky (which in the 6th gen four banger is hard to tell since the engine is clacky as hell off the assembly line) then I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:58 PM
JLGotrocks

It is always a good thing to replace the water pump if you are doing the timing belt.I got my timing belt,water pump,and a new oil pan for $900.Did I get ripped?Probably,but what are you gonna do if you can't do it yourself and it needs to get done?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
mahilig77

When I reach 210K miles I had my timing belt, accesory belts, fuel pump and oil sender unit done by Triangle Motors in Frederick, MD that only work on Honda/Acura for $570. They seem reasonable and I started having them do all the work that I cannot do in my driveway. There is no reason to replace the oil pan unless it is dented that affects the oil pump unit. If the gasket is not leaking, you should not worry about it. I never have my valve adjusted on my 92 since it has self adjusting mechanism. I do have to contend w/ tapping noise specially when starting in cold weather. The car just passed the emission and only use half a quart of synthetic oil every oil change. The car has now over 247k miles and still going strong.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:02 AM
Bocaeagle

Originally Posted by xpragmaticx
And I've learned a lot from these forums. I'm overdue @ 135k, so when tax return comes back, I'm taking it in. My question is this: Should I have any other work done on the engine while they do the timing belt? I'm getting a new o2 sensor also and doing that myself, but I don't feel I have the expertise or tools to do a timing belt. Thanks.

Oh, the car is a 98 Accord EX 2.3.
I am in Scotland and getting my timing belt changed on my Accord Coupe V6 for 200 UK pounds which is equivalent to around 370 USD. This is being done under the Honda Happiness Program which you may have in the US.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:21 AM
gtyouth

Default gas mileage

could anyone tell me what my problem might be,i have a 2001 honda accord ex 2.3l ,4 door i am getting poor gas mileage on it in normal driving conditions.i am getting 390-400 km per full tank,i know that is not the mileage i am suppose to get ,can anyone tell me what i have to do or change so i can get the right fuel mileage on the car ,thanks.

i also changed the ignition wires 2 weeks ago but the same problem still happens car is drinking gas.please help!!

Last edited by gtyouth; 01-23-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: more information
Old 01-25-2008, 06:50 AM
8bitrevolution

Just thought I'd chime in on this since I had my timing belt done last week.

It came out to about $420 with parts and labor. It was an independent mechanic but he had done extensive work on my uncle's 5th gen Accord and it runs like a dream so I felt safe taking it to him.

$420 got my timing belt, water pump, and accessory belts all changed out. The belt, water pump, and one other part (can't remember which) were official Honda parts, too. The accessory belts were probably picked up at Autozone but that's no big deal.

Also he checked and said all the seals were fine. No idea how much those would cost to replace, though.

But as everyone said - most definitely get the water pump done with the timing belt.

And independent mechanics are good so long as you know you're dealing with somehow who has experience with Hondas. I'm kind of fortunate - if I hadn't found this guy, the lead Honda mechanic at my hometown's dealership runs his own independent shop on the weekends. So I had options. But if in doubt, the dealership is probably your best bet.

BTW
If you have any doubts about getting the water pump done at the same time ('cos of money or whatever reason), look around the accord forums for a guy asking about a water pump leak recently. He just had his timing belt done but didn't get the water pump done. He's now potentially looking at a charge for labor in the same ballpark as timing belt replacement. It may cost a little extra now but it'll save you a lot in the long run.

Last edited by 8bitrevolution; 01-25-2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Just an after thought..
Old 01-25-2008, 06:58 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

When they're replacing the timing belt, much of the engine is taken apart anyways ... have them do all the other drive belts (power steering, etc) while they're in there. Same goes with the water pump.

Most dealerships will offer a package price for it all.