Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Accord EX auto rough idle - stiff gas pedal... please help!

Old 01-02-2008, 06:38 PM
hondamtrco4life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Accord EX auto rough idle - stiff gas pedal... please help!

I just purchased a 94 Accord EX automatic w/ 60k original miles. Car is in mint condition. It has two problems. When its in "D" and I come to a stop the idle stays steady at 500-600 rpm but the car shakes pretty bad. So I bought new plugs/ wires, cleaned out the TB and checked for vacuum leaks but it still has a rough idle. Could a dirty IACV or FITV be causing it to have a rough idle? I thought when those are dirty they cause a pulsating idle not a rough one. Could the MAP sensor cause it to idle rough? Also the car has a really stiff gas pedal? Is this normal? What could be causing it to be so stiff? Any advice would be helpful, thanks!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:33 PM
nspec_Cd5

i've driven quite a few vtec f22s w/ rough pedals. never tried fixing em, but i'm guessing u just need to oil/grease up the cable and taht should take care of it.

mine is perfectly fine, when i first got the car 2.5 years ago, i lubricated it and bunch of other stuff. haven't had a problem w/ it since.

whats the idle when the motor is warm and not in park or neutral?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:09 AM
hondamtrco4life

I don't get it... how will greasing up the throttle cable help the car not have a rough idle? The car idles at 500-600 with a warm engine and in "D" (which is a normal idle rpm for this year/make/model) so I don't know what else to do.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:09 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

a low idle can be caused by a gummed up EGR valve. It could be stuck in the "open" position, allowing too much exhaust to be recycled into the engine.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:47 PM
nspec_Cd5

Originally Posted by hondamtrco4life
I don't get it... how will greasing up the throttle cable help the car not have a rough idle? The car idles at 500-600 with a warm engine and in "D" (which is a normal idle rpm for this year/make/model) so I don't know what else to do.
oil/grease on the cable would take care of the *stiff gas pedal.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:27 AM
hondamtrco4life

nspec_Cd5- did you have a similar stiff pedal and the grease helped it go away? I'm going to clean out my iacv, egr ports and clean out the TB some more if the idle is stiff rough after doing those things I bought the rear motor mount from work (Honda) and I'll replace it. Maybe that'll do the trick.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:19 PM
nspec_Cd5

i didnt have the stiff pedal when i applied the penetrating oil to the throttle cable, but i knew i would in future. doing that took care of the stiff pedal.

it'd be nice if u can get someone to help u out w/ it have them sit inside and apply the pedal multiple times while u oil it from the other side.

i'm not sure exactly whats causing the rough idle, it could be one of many things.

u'll just have to play around w/ it to find out exactly what it is.