Notices

DIY MDF baffle for front speakers

Old 10-13-2002, 04:09 PM
smakdown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY MDF baffle for front speakers

Ok I've posted enough times so yeah everyone here probably knows that im getting infinity 605cs components. Well Im getting all these suggestions about making an MDF baffle because the magnets will be too big for the stock bracket. What the heck are you guys talking about, and how do you make an MDF baffle???? Pics would be appreciated as well as instructions (yeah im dumb, so there).
Old 10-13-2002, 04:37 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

I don't have any pics, basically its gonna be a spacer. You will get a piece of mdf, cut it to the outside diameter of the speaker, then cut out the middle of it so the speaker can fit inside of it. It will basically allow you to mount the speaker in the factory location w/o having the magnet getting in the way of the window, or worse, resting on the door panel. Depending on how big of a "spacer"(aka baffle) you could run into problems w/ the inside door panel being able to fit back on due to the speaker protruding. Keep an eye on that. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:01 PM
smakdown

Originally posted by 94uhkord
I don't have any pics, basically its gonna be a spacer. You will get a piece of mdf, cut it to the outside diameter of the speaker, then cut out the middle of it so the speaker can fit inside of it. It will basically allow you to mount the speaker in the factory location w/o having the magnet getting in the way of the window, or worse, resting on the door panel. Depending on how big of a "spacer"(aka baffle) you could run into problems w/ the inside door panel being able to fit back on due to the speaker protruding. Keep an eye on that. Good luck.
So what you are saying is that i completely disregard the stock speaker bracket, take a piece of mdf and make something like this: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...2&I=237XT652++

?
Old 10-13-2002, 05:29 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by smakdown

So what you are saying is that i completely disregard the stock speaker bracket, take a piece of mdf and make something like this: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...2&I=237XT652++

?
no, don't completely disregard your stock bracket, you are gonna need it so you can attach the spacer to it, then attach the speaker to the spacer. That foam xtc baffle is just for like if you were to cut out the back part of the speaker bracket, it will protect the speaker from the wind, dust, dirt and help keep some of the road noise out. When they say mdf baffle, they basically mean spacer, unless they are building a kick pod for a component set.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:57 PM
fly5150

you don't need to use the stock basket, just make a MDF ring out of 3/4 inch, should be plenty on room.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:22 PM
steveng

i don't know how deep the speaker depth is on ur car...i have a 00 accord. the kappa 60.5cs i have came with 2 plastic spacers and use stock baskets(cutting out the back) as new housing. i think you don't need MFD baffles if 605 come with plastic spacers.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:40 AM
smakdown

Originally posted by steveng
i don't know how deep the speaker depth is on ur car...i have a 00 accord. the kappa 60.5cs i have came with 2 plastic spacers and use stock baskets(cutting out the back) as new housing. i think you don't need MFD baffles if 605 come with plastic spacers.
steveng, you think you can post some pics of these spacers you got?
Old 10-14-2002, 04:47 AM
steveng

no sorry, cuz they are in the doors and i will have to take the speakers out for a clear picture. what year is ur car? i think if this is the speaker u want to buy, order them first and think about spacer later. maybe you don't need it cuz infinity speakers are not as big as you think.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:53 AM
smakdown

Ok i got my 605cs kit today. I don't have a digital camera the only stuff the woofers came with is the grilles, a metal ring the same diamter as the woofer, and a half inch wide strip of foam. Is the metal ring the spacer? (I got a 94 lx accord)
Old 10-17-2002, 03:18 PM
steveng

Originally posted by smakdown
Ok i got my 605cs kit today. I don't have a digital camera the only stuff the woofers came with is the grilles, a metal ring the same diamter as the woofer, and a half inch wide strip of foam. Is the metal ring the spacer? (I got a 94 lx accord)
is there a set of plastic rings? if not, take the foam out and check underneath