Notices

97 accord-distributor o-ring MIA

Old 08-09-2007, 07:54 PM
ayalcin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 accord-distributor o-ring MIA

Strangest thing happened today. I had removed my distributor about a week ago to replace the o-ring (it was leaking). To my surprise there was no o-ring on there. I did not think too much of it, put a new one on and took the car in for a timing belt change (3 miles away). Two days later picked the car up, brought it back (3 more miles) and noticed that the heater hose was leaking right under the distributor. So i ordered a new one, got the hose today. Pulled out the distributor to get to the heater hose to replace it and the o-ring I had put in is GONE!!! I know it did not fall off when i took it out. I have no idea what happened to it!! Did I put it on incorrectly?!? First coated it with oil, slipped it in the distributor, where it goes into the camshaft, then tightened the 3 distributor bolts until the distributor was up against the engine(while i was tightening the screws, I noticed that the o-ring was visible until the distributor body was flush against the engine). Did I tighten it too much and it slipped into the engine and got torn up in there?? Is there a trick to putting the o-ring on properly? Any help is appreciated....Thanks
Old 08-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

? I would take off you valve cover and see if you have 2 O-ring now ? You did it rite no real magic to it. It may be coming off when you take the dizzy off and falling into the head. It will probably not cause any damage (metal vs. rubber) in less it gets in the oil pick up screen.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:26 PM
nspec_Cd5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont get why the O-ring disappeared. but u didnt have to take out the distributor to remove that hose. i did mine yesterday, it was leaking too.