Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't shift from park to drive.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:27 AM
civic401

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't shift from park to drive.

Car won’t shift from Park to Drive. I have to manually shift from P to D with the driver key. Also the brake light doesn’t come on anymore. I’m thinking it has something to do with the senor at the bottom of the brake pedal. Any idea on how to test it? Also what other sensors might cause the issue of not being able to shift and the rear brake light not to work? Plus is there a fuse somewhere for the rear lights? This is a friend’s accord, 2002 EX. Your thought would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Intrepid241

Okay, i guess I didn't understand your question before. My bad. but yeah, sounds like a switch.

Last edited by Intrepid241; 06-29-2007 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:13 PM
nspec_Cd5

i'm about 99% sure its ur brake light switch located on top of the brake lever. thats what also causes the mechanism inside the shifter to allow you to shift and controls the brake lights.
i'm not sure how much it is but you can get it @ autozone for real cheap. when you replace it, just make sure you adjust it the same way it was earlier.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:15 PM
nspec_Cd5

also when you press teh brake lever (the key is in "on" position) you should hear a clicking noise inside your shifter, thats your mechanism^^^. if you dont hear that and like you said your brakes lights are also not coming on, then its definately that switch.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:34 PM
sonrisastogo

Default Repair for your problem.

That is a common problem with those cars. The solution to your problem is to replace the brake switch, which is mounted on the brake pedal. When the the switch is faulty, the brake lights don't come on, you also have to override the shift lever to remove from park, and last but not least the cruise control system won't work. Goodluck!

Originally Posted by civic401
Car won’t shift from Park to Drive. I have to manually shift from P to D with the driver key. Also the brake light doesn’t come on anymore. I’m thinking it has something to do with the senor at the bottom of the brake pedal. Any idea on how to test it? Also what other sensors might cause the issue of not being able to shift and the rear brake light not to work? Plus is there a fuse somewhere for the rear lights? This is a friend’s accord, 2002 EX. Your thought would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:49 PM
civic401

The transmission fluid is good because I just did a drain and refill with Honda ATF about a month ago. When I get home later I’m going to jump the brake light switch to see if it’s functioning correctly. Pretty sure the cruise control is working, but I’ll have to check that also... Thanks guys. I’ll let you guys know how it goes later.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at your brake switch probably stuck or just broken. If you want to diag it let me know you will need a volt meter.

The 2 things I know about that control the park interlock are one the brake switch and the tp senser. The brake switch so you can not pull it out of park and roll into something. The tp (throttle position) if it is over .5 volts the car thinks you are holding the throttle down and will not let you get out of park again so you do not roll into anything.

99% brake switch.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:48 PM
civic401

I just fix it right now. It was the brake switch. Took the brake switch apart and it turn out that one of the metal piece inside the switch was stuck. So I bent the metal clip back to normal were it can't get stuck anymore. So now it works better then before... Thanks guys for the input.