Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Accord, Transmission problem? ~..newbie

Old 06-03-2007, 12:46 PM
scansbar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Accord, Transmission problem? ~..newbie

Hello everyone, I'm new at this post so bare with me as I'll try my best to explain a problem which I believe may be transmission related.

I have an 1997 4 door sedan Honda Accord. I bought it off my uncle and since I had it I noticed that there was something wrong with the way the car accelerates. I seems as though when I slow down to make a stop it down shifts with no problem but if I don't make a complete stop (lets say I slow down to 10-15) and give it gas it will down shift again to get going and Rev about 3000-4000 before it catches gear.

I do not know much about cars and planning on taking it in to Honda but before I hear the words "you need to replace your transmission" I figured I post it on this chat to see if this is a common problem.

I appreciate any help that anyone can provide as $$ is not something I have much of.

Thank you for your time,
Regards
Mark

Last edited by scansbar; 06-03-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fluid level. Is your D light flashing? Is you cel on?How many miles on the car? Your last fluid change?

Do some research on stall testing trans.,shift solenoids,clutch pressure control solenoids and psi switches here and the web.

This will give you a good Idea whats wrong and how a/t work.

It could be a clutch pack going bad, shift solenoid or clutch pressure control solenoid going bad. The stall test will tell you more.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:34 PM
scansbar

My fluid level is good. I'm not sure what D light flashing means. My check engine light is not on and I never had my transmission fluid changed, even when it was bought at the dealer. I have 85 000 Miles on the car and the car is automatic.

Thank you for your reply, appreciate it.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Fuse

If the D light is flashing it means you have a trans dtc its like your trans cel. Check it to be shure. If it is I can help you pull a code this will pin point the problem.

Change you fluid twice just to get some of the old stuff out.Run it a min. or 2 after the first fluid change. When you drain and fill the trans you only change about 3 quarts of atf the trans has about another 3 quarts in the tork converter that is still old. You see what im saying?

Do a stall test.The search button for this site is on you top right.

Last edited by Fuse; 06-03-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:12 PM
scansbar

Thanks again Fuse but there are no flashing lights on my dash. As side from that I should change my fluid twice. If that doesn't work, should I just go to the dealer or anything else I can try since I'm goingto tackle this all in one day.
Thank you
Old 06-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Fuse

Probably not. Diaging a trans in one day with no parts no dtc is a bit hard.

The stall test will tell you what gear is slipping but will not fix any thing.

Lets say 2nd gear fails the stall test, you would then check clutch pressure(you would need the fitting for the pressure port and a pressure gauge). Lets say their is proper pressure the clutch pack would be bad=a new trans or a rebuild. Lets say their is no pressure you would have to diag the shift solenoid and the pressure control solenoid or even the valve body.

The fluid change might help so in one day you could do that and see what happens.

Just don't be surprised when the dealer charges you 90 bucks and tells you everything is ok or you need a new trans or a 120 dollor trans flush.When probably all you need is a shift solenoid B or A. I would almost try to find a trans specialty shop that rebuilds trans over the dealer.

Last edited by Fuse; 06-03-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:05 PM
nspec_Cd5

waht i can tell is that its taking a while to switch from 3rd to 2nd. its normal to get a push when ur coming to a stop and then accelerate, because while ur stopping the car stays in 3rd gear (usually untill 10-20mph) and when u accelerate it has to switch to 2nd. thats where you feel the push.

your car will not down shift to 1st untill you have reached speed of below 5mph.

i dont know exactly why its lagging so much to down shift, but it could be your transmission control unit.

Swap that out before you decide to change your transmission its way cheaper and may work.

and the reason why it downshifts is to get more acceleration out of it.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:17 PM
tattedup

Originally Posted by scansbar
Hello everyone, I'm new at this post so bare with me as I'll try my best to explain a problem which I believe may be transmission related.

I have an 1997 4 door sedan Honda Accord. I bought it off my uncle and since I had it I noticed that there was something wrong with the way the car accelerates. I seems as though when I slow down to make a stop it down shifts with no problem but if I don't make a complete stop (lets say I slow down to 10-15) and give it gas it will down shift again to get going and Rev about 3000-4000 before it catches gear.

I do not know much about cars and planning on taking it in to Honda but before I hear the words "you need to replace your transmission" I figured I post it on this chat to see if this is a common problem.

I appreciate any help that anyone can provide as $$ is not something I have much of.

Thank you for your time,
Regards
Mark
Im having the same problem but i have a 2000 accord coupe! from what i have found out and diagonstics its a shift solenoid! Dont take it to the dealer if you dont have money to spend because they will tell you all kinds of shit! its a simple problem trust me this is my 4th honda an its always a sensor! Try to take out your solenoids an clean them first! Brake cleaner perferably if not find out what sensor it is! have you ran it on a diagonstic yet? hit me back an good luck! TATTED
Old 06-10-2007, 03:21 PM
tattedup

Originally Posted by tattedup
Im having the same problem but i have a 2000 accord coupe! from what i have found out and diagonstics its a shift solenoid! Dont take it to the dealer if you dont have money to spend because they will tell you all kinds of shit! its a simple problem trust me this is my 4th honda an its always a sensor! Try to take out your solenoids an clean them first! Brake cleaner perferably if not find out what sensor it is! have you ran it on a diagonstic yet? hit me back an good luck! TATTED
Hit up Honda partsdeal.com put in your info or vin number an it will give you a blue print of your trans! then all you have to do is find out witch one! later an good luck!