Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condenser and Cooling fans not working right

Old 06-02-2007, 08:02 AM
JerseyJohnny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condenser and Cooling fans not working right

A while back I had a problem where I kept blowing a fuse. In trying to isolate the short, at one point I disconnected the Condenser fan (the one on the driver's side of the car) thinking it was the cooling fan (which was on the circuit for the fuse that kept blowing). After disconnecting the condenser fan's connector, I started the car, and very soon after smelled a "burning wire" type of smell.

Since this has happened, I found the short for the cooling fan fuse and fixed it. But now the condenser fan will not work.

What happens now is that any time I have the ignition in the "on" position, whether the engine is running or not, and when the engine is cold even, the cooling fan (the one towards the passenger side) goes on. I thought this only came on once the engine got warm? Also, in the past it might stay on after turning the car off, and it doesn't do that, although it might not have had to yet.

As for the other fan, the condenser fan (on the driver's side), it NEVER comes on. Even when I turn on the A/C. Even if the car is warmed up to temperature and I turn on the A/C.

Is there a particular relay which tells these fans how to act? It seems like something that is supposed to be telling them when to come on or stay off is not doing its job; it's just keeping the cooling fan on always and never turning the condenser fan on.

Any ideas?
Old 06-02-2007, 11:51 AM
nspec_Cd5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not the relay that tells them how to act. relays main function is to keep ur computer from frying up by short wires.

you have a short some where for sure. or it might be you a/c control switch. open it up and look at the back side of the chip and make sure none of the connections are burned.

i had this problem w/ my switch but in my case niehter a/c nor the fan worked. when i finally took off my switch, i saw some of the connections burned and some wire strips hanging down. i managed to repair it myself and it worked fine after that.

and also you should get 2 more relays from a junkyard and replace your old one cause they're probably damaged by now.

that should help more than likely, if not then try swapping the computer out and see if that works.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The condenser or ac fan usually only runs when you have the ac on.Also when you have the ac on usually the coolant fan also turns on.

The coolant fan is turned on by the ecm/pcm and the coolant temp fan switch.Some times the fan will run after shut down to stop the engine for heat soaking however the fan should not run when the engine is cold you may have a problem with the ecm,coolant temp fan switch,the fan timer(this is used after shut down and may be stuck on) or the relay stuck on.We will look at this problem later.

So the first place I would start is at the ac fan. Turn your ac on and see if one wire gets 12v the other wire(probably black) is you ground wire do an ohm test on this wire you should see less than one ohm from the black wire to body ground.

Let me know what you find and we will go from there I can get all the wiring diagrams.