Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternator help

Old 05-28-2007, 08:09 AM
smhorsley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator help

i need help i wuld like to know how to take the alternator off of my 94 honda accord lx so that I can take it to a parts store to check it to see if its any good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:41 AM
nspec_Cd5

dont take it off. just take it to autozone and they'll check it for you for free.

they have a tester in which they can check the battery and the altenator at the same time.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:01 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Originally Posted by nspec_Cd5
dont take it off. just take it to autozone and they'll check it for you for free.

they have a tester in which they can check the battery and the altenator at the same time.
Not all of them do, some do require that you take them out since some have the desktop tester in the store. What I did with my 98 accord was go to Sears. They'll put a load on it and they'll tell you if it's the battery or the alternator. When I went they put a load on it and it was faulty so I replaced and it and my power/starting problems went away.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:43 PM
smhorsley

yeah well the only reason i was wanting to take it off is because everytime I drive the car it will run fine for a while but then the gauges go haywire and the car just cuts off, then i look under the hood and its the plug that goes into the alternator, push it back in and we r good to go. But I have gone through 2 brand new batteries in the last couple days thats why im thinking its the alternator.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:25 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smhorsley
... then i look under the hood and its the plug that goes into the alternator, push it back in and we r good to go...
Sounds like it's not the alternator or the battery. It's the little plastic clips that hold the wiring harness plug into the alternator.

Make a little bracket or clamp to hold that plug together, or get a new plug/pigtail & splice it in...
Old 05-30-2007, 07:50 AM
nspec_Cd5

or "duct tape" it
Old 06-08-2007, 02:36 PM
smhorsley

well i checked into the price of the wiring harness and for that car its like $400. so u think that me makin a bracket or clamp will work and it wont come off again? and I havent driven it since when i first posted on here and it keeps draining the battery U think it will help?
Old 06-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get the same connector from another car cut all the wires and butt connect or solder the wires back to gather. Connectors also come apart pull the blue or white cover and you will see the pin locks you then pull them back and you can pull out the pin and put the pins into the other connector(mark where thy came from).

A quick check to see if the alternator is working.Engine off 12v at the battery.Engine on 14v at the battery. Just for you.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:15 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it keeps coming out, then all you have to do is decide which method (several suggested here in this thread) you want to use to hold it in place.

If the plug stays in, but the battery is still draining, then look for some additional problem. Same thing if you don't even drive it, and the battery keeps draining...