Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6th Gen Accord Valve adjustment

Old 04-09-2007, 01:52 AM
shipu7la

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6th Gen Accord Valve adjustment

With cold engine i hear some kind of clicking noise every 5 second or so. But as the engine warms up, the noise goes away. I asked one of my friends, he told me to get the valve adjusted. Does anyone know how to do it? Does it involve lot of work? Anyone with repair manual kind enough to post some points or explain how to do it?

Bill

6th Gen Accord, 4cyl, 72300 miles, Auto.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:25 PM
qsd_Dan

If I were you, I wouldn't really worry about it unless the valves are still making noise once the engine warms up. According to Honda, the official mileage to check and adjust the valves is 105,000 miles anyway.

I wasted countless hours on my 99 trying to find the perfect adjustment setting for quiet operation vs smooth idle and I never found it. If I adjusted the valves to the point they were quiet, the idle got choppy and the engine was on the verge of dying every time I pushed the clutch in to shift. Too loose, and the valves chattered like crazy. It sounds like you're valves are still pretty much in adjustment.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

ive noticed that honda engines are always a bit clacky.

mine f22 engine is brand new from the factory with about 6k miles and it is clacky. *shrugs*
Old 04-10-2007, 07:18 AM
losiglow

It's pretty easy. The hayes manual explains how to do it pic by pic. The helms probably does a good job too (if not better). Getting ahold of one of those manuals would be a good idea for any DIYer. Basically you remove the valve cover and timing belt cover, which is easy, then adjust each valve by cranking the cam shaft gear to the appropriate place, marked on the gear, then measure the valve lash with those width thingies (lol, dont' remember the name) and adjust the valve with a ratchet so that the width measurer is snug but not tight. Baa...just get a maunal. It will explain it. You can get a hayes at any auto parts store for less than $20. Or fork out the $70 or so for the helms.

Going with that second guy though, I've done the same thing. I adjusted the valve clearance on my '99 twice in the last year since the engine was a little "clicky" when cold. Both times I went in I found that the valves were already adjusted to the appropriate lash. Honda's engines are just a little clicky. If your idle, response and gas mileage are all doing well, chances are that you don't need an adjustment.