Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda ATF only, or Dexron OK? HELP!!

Old 04-25-2007, 02:43 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a 90' Accord, Amsoil is a complete waste, and no it's not better.

Use Honda ATF, why even take the chance.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:46 PM
bob01721

Can't say anything about Honda ATF in Accords. But at the Acura Vigor Club, guys have reported all kinds of problems with anything EXCEPT Honda ATF.

There was even a guy whose shifting was so harsh he was told he needed a new tranny. He drained it, refilled it with Honda ATF, and the shifting was smooth again. He took it back to the tech -- the guy couldn't believe it was the same tranny!

All kinds of guys over there report shifting problems that were fixed with Honda ATF.

(BTW, I have a 5-speed, so this isn't my direct experience.)
Old 04-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Johar

In my opinion, there is a reason that Honda uses a special transmission fluid. What is a few extra bucks to prevent damage to your tranny. They test their fluids for the lives of their vehicles. Follow the manuel is my suggestion.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:10 AM
shawnhu

Originally Posted by bob01721
Can't say anything about Honda ATF in Accords. But at the Acura Vigor Club, guys have reported all kinds of problems with anything EXCEPT Honda ATF.

There was even a guy whose shifting was so harsh he was told he needed a new tranny. He drained it, refilled it with Honda ATF, and the shifting was smooth again. He took it back to the tech -- the guy couldn't believe it was the same tranny!

All kinds of guys over there report shifting problems that were fixed with Honda ATF.

(BTW, I have a 5-speed, so this isn't my direct experience.)
I can attest to that, I'm one of the guys over at the Vigor club that experienced such shifting problems, and many more all over the forums. Honda's Z1 ATF does have special properties in it and is not a marketting gimmic. The owners manual and factory service manuals will say Dextron II compatible, but experience shows that Honda Z1 is superior in our A/T's than any other brand. Remember, the Honda tranny's are sesigned to be shifted like manuals, only without a clutch.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:27 PM
rekeen01

I have a 92 Vigor and a 91 Accord and it says to use Dexron in the manual (back then, no such thing at Honda ATF). Both cars are great and running smooth.....and have been running with Dexron for 16 years.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:10 PM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the manual for my 96 says honda atf only. I did try something else and I notice almost immediately the difference, I went back to honda atf the next day and the tranny was so smooth compare to other crap.

DO what is in the manual.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:05 PM
foot

Do what the manual recommends. Even if it tells you to put CVT fluid in the rear diff of your 1997 CRV!
Old 07-23-2007, 02:49 PM
fstop128

i have a 92 and i just checked my owner's manual it says use honda atf or = dextron 2 atf. for power steering fluid use only honda power steering fluid. do not use atf or other brand of ps fluid. i think a conditioner is added to the dextron. i know when the tranny i have now the fluid is changed the import place uses dextron 2 and adds a conditioner. shifts fine very smooth. the rack is leaking and ive only had honda ps fluid in it but i think its age that has gotten to it.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:03 AM
finch13

I have a 95 Accord and I used whatever the Wal-Mart ATF is, Auto-Tech I think, and I didn't have any problems with it. I know my manual says "Use Honda ATF, or Dexron III equivalent," but once I started reading about the seal additive about 6 months ago I immediately switched back.

Originally Posted by shawnhu
Remember, the Honda tranny's are [d]esigned to be shifted like manuals, only without a clutch.
Is this actually true? I've shifted mine like that a few times (speed gain is nice), but stopped thinking it was horrible for the tranny.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:48 PM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by shawnhu
I can attest to that, I'm one of the guys over at the Vigor club that experienced such shifting problems, and many more all over the forums. Honda's Z1 ATF does have special properties in it and is not a marketting gimmic. The owners manual and factory service manuals will say Dextron II compatible, but experience shows that Honda Z1 is superior in our A/T's than any other brand. Remember, the Honda tranny's are sesigned to be shifted like manuals, only without a clutch.
:slap:

get ready for a new tranny soon. AUTOMATICS ARE NOT MEANT TO BE USED AS STANDARD.

The lower gears there are for pulling something not to shift like a 5spd.