Notices

Phantom ABS light - 6th Gen

Old 02-06-2007, 04:31 PM
losiglow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phantom ABS light - 6th Gen

Last night I got in my car after work and noticed the ABS light didn't turn off. When I got home I checked all the fuses, which were all fine, then the connections to the ABS unit. They seemed fine too. This morning, same thing. The ABS light comes on and stayes on. So like a good little non-newb HAN'er, I search for "ABS light" topics finding a brilliant one by 98CoupeV6. Of course, at that point, I have to go to autozone (or the dealer if I have $60 I don't want ) and get it diagnosed. So after work I head off to Autozone but notice the light isn't on anymore! This morning it didn't turn on either. I'm just waiting for it to turn on again, figuring it's a glitch or a loose connection or something. Any ideas? My brake fluid is topped off so that couldn't be it. Is there seperate fluid for the ABS? I didn't think so but in one ABS topic a guy said to "check the ABS fluid". Either that guy didn't know what he was talking about or I just learned something new.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brake switches some times will fail then not fail.Do you have an auto trans?If you do have you had a hard time getting out of park?That would indicate a brake switch failing.

Also maybe a wheel speed sensor.

Even if the light is not on you should be able to pull a code.The code will point you in the right direction.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Buyimports2

Do you read that code the same way as a CEL? I'm having the same problem.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:58 PM
stereo

the code can be read even with while the ABS light is off , now the bad news only Honda or Mastertech scanners can read the ABS code. the autozone ones can only read CEL. as for checking the fluid that is only 5th gen or older as the 6th gen is a sealed system. if you know how to ground the SCS wire on the OBD2 connector you can read the code w/o a scanner.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:05 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Did you try using the paperclip method to get an ABS flash code? I have 3 intermittent ABS codes that only appear when I do this - the light comes on while I'm driving maybe once every 3-4 months.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:37 AM
losiglow

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Did you try using the paperclip method to get an ABS flash code? I have 3 intermittent ABS codes that only appear when I do this - the light comes on while I'm driving maybe once every 3-4 months.
No, I didn't try that. I read about it on your article but haven't messed with it since it went off. To the first poster, I have a manual, not an auto. So if I understand correctly, autozone probably doens't have the right equipment to diagnose an ABS indicator? And it's possible it will still throw a code even if the light isn't on? It's been a few days now with no light so I'll probably let it be for now. I have to go into the dealer for a few things in the next week or so. Maybe I'll see if I can sweet talk him into diagnosing it real quick. We'll see.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:34 PM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Normally, ABS codes (and SRS codes) require Honda's special OBD-2 reader. However, if you jumper the proper 2 terminals in the OBD-2 socket, the ABS lamp will flash the code. AutoZone wouldn't know how to do that.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:42 AM
losiglow

I believe I found the problem. Last night the light came on again. When I got home from work, I turned the car off then back on. The light still came on. So I popped the hood and unlatched the main connection on the ABS motor. Of course, the light stayed on. So I reattached the connection and turned the ignition off, then back on about 10 seconds later. The light came on for a second like it's supposed to then turned off. So I pulled the connector out a little, as much as the little clip would allow without actually unlatching, probably only a millimeter or so. I looked on the dash, sure enough, the light came back on. I pushed it back in, turned the ignition off (it seems if the light is triggered, it will stay on, even if the problem is fixed. It seems only to reset if the ignition is turned off then back on.) Anyway, turned the ignition off, then back on. Light is off. I'm assuming a slighly offset or dirty connection. I cleaned both the contacts out with electrical cleaner. I'll see if it come's back. Thanks for the tips!