Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

go with OEM header or aftermarket?

Old 10-03-2002, 10:10 PM
RKV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default go with OEM header or aftermarket?

ok guys, as many of u guys kno, i've had check engine light problem due to a serious problem, i thought the whole time it was a clogged cat, felt something restricting my acceleration, and this strange "whoooing noise", sad news is last weekend when i was installing it, my friend told me my cat was fine, could see thru the other end, and it was still white inside, very little dirt, so the OEM cat i bought didnt need to go in, o2 was fine, a bit dirty, so i changed it with the one i bought, funny thing was, my original cat was better than the one i bought, tho my car is a 98, and the one i bought was from a 2000 LOL. anyway, no one tell me to go use Haynes or Helms, i checked the codes and did 10000 different things i just dont want to reexplain.

my problem: my friend who worked on my car knows the problem now, why is the o2 wack and sending signals to run a bit rich fuel. way back long ago, my very good friend(a girl) had to drive me and my gf cuz we were messed up(drinking too much), and we went to mcdonalds drive thru, lady was a bi*^tch and my friend floored it, luckily didnt have my lip kit, rims, or lowered back than, she went over a 5 inch curb, and jumped the curb to the right, and made the biggest "DUMMMM.. BANG!!!" noises ever. my gf's dad is a body mechanic and was like u can have major damage from that. should have listened. my friend found a tiny hole near my heat shield or the part of the exhuast manifold that connects to the cat. basically, thats enuff to send my o2 wack cuz air is getting through. so, i have to buy a new exhaust manifold(header), so should i get an OEM one or aftermarket like DC sports? now i kno, i lose low end, gain high end, only power band curve shifts. best price used i have been quoted so far, is $175 shipped for a used OEM header. i've seen pics, their good condition. i have seen used headers go for like $190-200 shipped. the ceramic ones. i dont feel like buying a new one for like $300-$400 for SS, cuz i saw they make like 1 HP. now, tell me, used price is almost the same, so i kno aftermarket does little, but wont my 1/4 miles be better, even by the slighest fraction amount if i get the aftermarket one? tell me guys, a 1998 accord coupe 4 cylinder, i have CAI and catback exhuast. i NEED to buy a header 100%, so tell me, which helps with performance, even if its less to nothing noticebale. dont tell me, dont buy one, cuz i have to buy a header, im slow either way, and yes, i do highway and local driving both about the same, i never race except rarely(once every couple months) for fun with friends, and we always do it like 1/4 on the street. im assuming for driving thrill aftermarket is better, cuz it makes a nicer tone to your acceleration if ur in higher gears, and makes the engine bay a little prettier. consider guys, performance in 1/4 mile, cuz i rather get what helps for those few times i race(they cost the same), and what last longer?
Old 10-03-2002, 10:18 PM
RKV

btw, for reference, their are Long scratch marks on part of the header, and than u see the tiny hole, thats how i kno it happened cuz my dumb friend jumped the curb. my friend filled it with some sealent, he said dont worry, wont get into cat, it will just burn off, temporary fix, he said watch, in a couple of hrs, it will be gone even LOL, sealent is not good enuff for the extreme heat. anyway, btw, my car has been maintained well, did coolant flush recently, fuel injector cleaned in both fuel tank and put that crap in the carberator part inside the hood, and changed plugs to denso iridiums(nice) recently. car runs AMAZING except for the occasionally fallin apart feeling when the check engine light comes on LOL, i cant accelerate past 50 without hittin accelerator a bit harder than normal.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:20 PM
RKV

btw, any1 wanna buy a used cat, if ur cat is bad, here is ur chance to buy one thats in good condition. =) i'll throw in the o2 sensor for it.