Notices

Looking to buy a 94-97 accord coupe.tips?advice? to look for

Old 12-14-2006, 07:09 PM
peterok29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a 94-97 accord coupe.tips?advice? to look for

hi everyone.im in the middle of selling my 93 camry le.i was thinking of possibly getting a 94-97 accord coupe (automatic).i should have somewhere around 3000-4000 cash to buy one outright.hoping to get one with around 100-120,000 miles on it.i dont know too much about hondas,i know there very reliable.i found my sister a 91 accord se fully loaded w/142k on it and it was a gem.she had it 3 yrs and put close to 30k on it and then i recently sold it for her for $2000 (bought it for $1100)
my question is what common problems on these cars should i look for.i probally wouldnt buy a 4 door for those years just because i like the coupes that much more.what should i look for when searching to buy these cars???if anyone can help i know you guys can.thanx ahead of time
Attached Images
Old 12-15-2006, 11:11 AM
ColeM
Banned

Check if the t-belt has been done, look for rust, and other normal maitnance
Old 12-15-2006, 12:24 PM
peterok29

so nothing out of the ordinary stuff??i know about the rust spots on the rear quarters.no common stuff that goes wrong in these cars??
Old 12-15-2006, 12:26 PM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Accords hold their value pretty well....normal maintenance is the only thing that needs to be done....and don't be surprised if that F series goes post 250k miles...enjoy
Old 12-15-2006, 04:08 PM
sleezye

quick run down t-belt,fr. eng. mount. axle boots take the oil cap off and look down in the valve cover this will kind of give u an idea of how the car has been maintained
Old 12-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Mugenfreak
Boost Hungry!

also look on consumerguide.com for any common issues for the 94-97 accords and if there was any recalls...

check:
-power steering fluid(is it low)
-oil(is it discolored, really runny or sludgey, is it low)
-take off oil cap and run your finger on a rocker to see if there is sludge
-radiator fluid(color, low)
-tranny fluid(make sure it doesnt smell burnt if so its on its way out)
-check for leaks on block/engine for any fluid
-stand behind car and check the color of exhaust on start up and if it smokes does it keep smoking...etc
-look for excessively worn/torn suspension bushings
-pull each spark plugs for oil, unburnt gas, excessive carbon buildup, etc
-look at all the belts and if they "say" certain belts especially the timing belt has been replaced ONLY believe them if they have a receipt other wise if you buy it its better to replace them and be safe rather sorry
-check air filter
-look at the overall apperance of the car, motor, interior, etc you can really tell if someone took care of the car or just cleaned it up for you to look at...all the hondas ive ever bought the motor almost looked brand new and that isnt easily accomplished w/o EXTENSIVE cleaning or they actually cleaned it regurarly
-check body lines...is there waves, big gaps between body panels, excessive swirl marks, is there overspray under the hood, chasis, etc, the factory wont have overspray...all these are typical sgins of body repair

hope this helps...be VERY careful and pay attention to detail and it would be worth $50 to take it to a shop and get a compression test and have them look over it AS WELL dont trust the shop to check everthing unless you trust the shop...DO NOT buy it unless you actually drive it for a good 30 mins total on highway and in town driving and dont be afraid to open it up cuz if it breaks it was goin to anyways and better it break and you dont buy it than buy it and breaks cuz you always take a greater chance buying from a private seller than a dealership
Old 12-18-2006, 12:41 PM
peterok29

that helps a whole bunch loll ill print it out and study it and just remeber when i go to look at a car to do all that.thanxx fellas ill keep you updated when i purchase soemthing,thanxxx