Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Accord key won't unlock doors

Old 07-06-2006, 07:12 AM
tiger7d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Accord key won't unlock doors

I've got a 99 Honda Accord, and just recently, my wife's remote batteries went out, so when she went to unlock the door with her key, the key wouldn't even go all the way in. That's for the driver's side, passenger side, and even truck, but yet it turns the ignition with no problem.

I ordered new batteries for her remote, but the key should ALWAYS work, right? Any suggestions why the key works in the ignition, but not the doors?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 07-06-2006, 08:19 AM
Big AL
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by tiger7d
I've got a 99 Honda Accord, and just recently, my wife's remote batteries went out, so when she went to unlock the door with her key, the key wouldn't even go all the way in. That's for the driver's side, passenger side, and even truck, but yet it turns the ignition with no problem.

I ordered new batteries for her remote, but the key should ALWAYS work, right? Any suggestions why the key works in the ignition, but not the doors?

Thanks,
Joe
That's just weird. I was gonna ask if you're using the black key or the gray valet key because the gray valet key only works in the ignition and not the trunk but it should unlock the doors so I just don't know. :dunno:
Old 07-06-2006, 09:19 AM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ignition lock might have been changed before and have a diffrent key.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:47 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

Originally Posted by stereo
the ignition lock might have been changed before and have a diffrent key.
yup thats probably what happened with the previous owner, they should of gave you the key to the doors since you need a key for the doors and one to start the car
Old 07-06-2006, 12:37 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Or, if the key hasn't been used in a LONG time the lock mechanism can seize. I believe it's also in the owners manual to lubricate the keylock cylinders on a regualr basis. Im not sure because I don't have it with me here at work, but Im fairly certain.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:37 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

yea, the door and trunk key openings on my car didnt work for a while, lubed them up and they work fine... although I never use them.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:28 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I never use mine either, I have keyless. But that was only added by me, so most of that cars life has been keyed entry. I should probably lube then anyway.