Notices

Painting Rims... Suggestions please! :D

Old 06-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Funkwheat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the process of doin' it right now! Well, one rim anyway for now. I used some paint stripper on it first, to get all the old crap off (And it actually got the break dust off pretty well, too)... I sanded it down afterwards pretty good, then primed it, then painted, and I think I'm about ready for the clear coat now.

I chose a gunmetal color, I think it's going to look pretty good. The first one is not near perfect, but I don't think it's too bad. I'm sure the laast three will look better, because I know what I'm doing a little more now. This is the first time i've really tried anything like this, so we'll see how it goes.

I'll see if I can find my digital camera and post some before/after pics a little later. Again, this is my first try so I know it's not perfect, so go easy on the criticism!

Thanks all for your help and tips.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Funkwheat

I'm going to hang myself.

It started lookin pretty good. Until about 10-15 minutes after I put the laast clear coat on, it started raining! Very lightly, but I think it mighta fucked it up a bit >< ;;

I dunno if myabe throwing another clear coat on it tomorrow after it stops raining will help it or not... I sure as hell hope so. I put a trash bag over it now, so it won't get wetter. We'll see how it goes ><

Just my luck!

I found my digital cam, I'll take pics tomorrow of before and after.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:20 AM
pnthr30

If your clear got wet, your best bet is going to be to just get out the sandpaper and get to work. You are probably going to have to sand off all the clear, and maybe even a layer of paint. Then I would throw down another light coat of paint, then start the clear process over again. You may be able to fix it the way it is, but IMHO you may end up spending more time trying to "fix" it than if you just cut your losses and started over. Just my $0.02.

The same thing happened to me when I painted some tails........I tried to "fix" the affected clear, but I ended up sanding it off and starting over.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Funkwheat

Thanks for the tips Pnthr. What ended up happening, was, the raindrops that hit it sorta formed little bubbles. It wasn't really wet at the time, but it wasn't dry either if you know what I mean.. It was still moldable sortalike. So I kinda smoothed out as many bubbles as I could, then put another clear on. I got most of them out, there are still a few that you can see if you look closely. I might redo it eventually but I think it looks good enough for now. Gonna do the other 3 in a minute.

And, at long last, I have pics!

Before...

lol yeah pretty damn gross....

After....

The crap you see on the tires is mostly remnants of the tape, which will wash off. I did mask them off.

Perfect? Hell no. It was the first time I've ever painted realy ANYTHINg, not to mention I had that rain catastrophe after the laast clear coat. But, I learned from a lot of mistakes and the othe 3 will look much better I'm sure. If I feel up to it, I'll redo this one someday after I finish the others.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:50 AM
pnthr30

Looks good! Good DIY!
Old 06-06-2006, 10:52 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks a lot better
Old 06-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Funkwheat

Thanks! Workin on the others now, I'll post a full car pic in a day or two when I'm done.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:26 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Make sure to adjust your camera, those pics hurt my eyes
Old 06-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Funkwheat

Camera is a lil' ghetto. What should I change, the brightness?
Old 06-06-2006, 01:03 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Haha yeah and I think your contrast too, ask in the basement h: