Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "BRAKE" Light on the Dash is on and won't go off

Old 05-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Coldsun
Rolling Senseless

Location: The Home of 911, the place of the Lost Towers, we still banging we never lost power! Rockland NY..
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My "BRAKE" Light on the Dash is on and won't go off

The E-Brake light stays on now... Even though the E-brake is down
I life the ebrake up and put it down, but it stays on...
Why

I must admit, for a while i did hear a slight metal scraping sound coming from my driver side tire which would go away when i press on my brakes...

but still... any idea why my ebrake light is staying on?
-Sun
Old 05-19-2006, 01:19 PM
vtec rider
h22 under the hood

possibly ur brake fluid is bad, mine did the same thing when my brake fluid was getting old. I would change ur brake fluid, that will probably fix ur problem for sure.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:38 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The BRAKE light is only controlled by a sensor detecting whether or not the handbrake lever is up (it has nothing to do with the actual mechanical system) and a bobber in the brake fluid. Make sure the bobber can move up and down, and if it changes the brake light. If not, it's your parking brake sensor.

On a side note - make sure your parking brake cables aren't jammed (causing one or both rear wheels to be always braking).

edit: if you're losing brake fluid you have a much bigger problem. The bobber is probably just stuck.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:14 PM
vtec rider
h22 under the hood

actually yes it does, if your brake fluid gets watered down the bobber lets you know whether or not u need new brake fluid or not. So yes the light does have something to do with the actually braking system, read the owners manual and it will say that.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:53 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by vtec rider
actually yes it does, if your brake fluid gets watered down the bobber lets you know whether or not u need new brake fluid or not. So yes the light does have something to do with the actually braking system, read the owners manual and it will say that.
How would it get 'watered down'? it's a closed system. If water is getting in, again, you have much bigger problems.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:59 PM
vtec rider
h22 under the hood

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
How would it get 'watered down'? it's a closed system. If water is getting in, again, you have much bigger problems.
something having to do with brake fluid breaking down over time, I forget the exact term. But I guarantee its because he has bad brake fluid thats why the light stays on. Same thing happened to me and while I was getting serviced they said it was because my brake fluid was old. Got it changed and ever since then no more brake light staying on.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:14 PM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

something having to do with brake fluid breaking down over time, I forget the exact term...
No. It's only a float in the brake fluid reservoir. It can only tell you that the fluid level is low. It can't warn you that the fluid is old or contaminated. If you drained your brake fluid & put muddy water in there, the float switch would be happy.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:33 PM
vtec rider
h22 under the hood

I dont know about accords but I know my 97 Prelude is that way. Read your owners manual, I know its in mine.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:30 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

I dont know about accords but I know my 97 Prelude is that way. Read your owners manual, I know its in mine.
They all have the same basic float design. Go open your brake fluid cap, you'll see it.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:37 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There might be some discussion about the reasons why brake fluid needs to be replaced. It is important because the fluid becomes easy to boil after it has absorbed some moisture from the air.

But the float switch in the reservoir can only detect low fluid level.