Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strut bar installation gone awry

Old 05-16-2006, 07:52 AM
Big AL
Swollen Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut bar installation gone awry

Well, I got my neuspeed strut bar in the mail the other day and went to install it and I struggled to break loose one of the nuts on top of the struts. I used a 12mm socket as recommended and I wound up rounding off the edges of the bolt. I then switched to using a vise grip but it only rounded the edges even more. Now I'm thinking I'm screwed because I can't get this nut off now. I was thinking of using my dremel tool but I was afraid I would cut too deep and screw up the threads on the bolt or even accidently cut it off. Anyone have any ideas or tricks of the trade on how to remove this nut safely and without damaging the bolt?
Old 05-16-2006, 07:58 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pick up a can of PB blaster or similiar and let that soak in there for awhile. If that doesn't work, your only option is to heat it up with a torch and then get it off. I guess the worst that could happen if you bust it all off is that you'll need a new upper strut mount, so no big deal.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:25 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

The strut mount is actually the top hat for the spring strut combo. I'd avoid braking the nut off unless you want to buy a new strut hat.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:28 AM
jschmid

You must have had the wrong size...I've never stripped a nut with the right size socket. There are two sizes of nuts up there, maybe you used the larger socket on the smaller nut.

The nuts that are holding my TL-S strut bar are only a 12lbs or so factory torque spec...what nut are you trying to remove?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Big AL
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by jschmid
You must have had the wrong size...I've never stripped a nut with the right size socket. There are two sizes of nuts up there, maybe you used the larger socket on the smaller nut.

The nuts that are holding my TL-S strut bar are only a 12lbs or so factory torque spec...what nut are you trying to remove?
I've never stripped a nut with the right size socket either but the instructions specifically called for a 12mm socket for the 2 rear strut nuts and a 14mm socket for the nut holding down the bar between the strut mount and the firewall. I removed the drivers side nuts without too much effort and I was able to remove 2 of the 3 on the passenger side. It was one of the two rear strut mount nuts that I stripped. It was so tight on there that I even used a breaker bar to gain additional leverage and I thought it was turning at one point but I looked and saw that I was just stripping it. I couldn't believe it. Maybe the guy who installed my shocks and springs a few months back didn't torque them. :dunno:
Old 05-16-2006, 10:04 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you using those 12 point sockets instead of a 6 point? If not, you must've been trying to take it off at an angle.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Big AL
Swollen Member

I was using a 6 point socket not a 12 point, maybe I was holding it at a slight angle. I didn't think I was though. Regardless, I just need to get it off. I'll try the PB Blaster stuff and see if that works. Anyone know who sells that stuff? If that doesn't work then I'll just try my dremel and be super careful.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:13 AM
aux
More Black on Black Crime

dont feel too bad. i have one stripped nut up there too . i had to modify my strut bar :lmao:. 5 pt mount h: h:. ebay bar so its ok :exnbp:
Old 05-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Big AL
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by aux
dont feel too bad. i have one stripped nut up there too . i had to modify my strut bar :lmao:. 5 pt mount h: h:. ebay bar so its ok :exnbp:
It wouldn't be so bad if I had a 6 pt mount strut bar because like you said I could just not use that 1 mounting point (kinda defeats the purpose though) but neuspeeds are only 4 pts, 2 on each side because you keep the stock strut bars in place (the ones that attach to the firewall). Using just 1 mounting point on a neuspeed bar is totally pointless.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:15 PM
phat99accord
BMW Tech

do u have an air compressor? if so u can get an impact hammer with a chisel and try 2 spin it that way of just a chisel by itself.

Craftsman also makes "bolt out" sockets which might work

Bolt Out Set

if that fails then there are tools called nut splitters for $15 from craftsman also

Nut Cracker

Once you get it off check the threads the last person probobly cross threaded it.
That means u either have 2 get a tap and die set or for the same price just buy a new strut top hat and know that it is new and nothing is wrong with it