Notices

Coilovers

Old 05-14-2006, 02:22 PM
rwong410

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers

I heard that adjustable coilovers are stiffer than regular aftermarket springs thereby giving the car a bumpier ride than if I were to install just regular lowering springs. Is this true? Would getting some KYB GR-2's help? I heard that even with aftermarket shocks the ride would be bumpy because of the fact that the springs are adjustable coilovers and not just regular aftermarket lowering springs. What's your opinion? Thanks
Old 05-17-2006, 10:49 AM
illusion

Bumpy and stiff are not the same. Mismatched springs and dampers will result in a bumpy ride, proper hard springs and stiff dampers will be stiff, but not bumpy. Search around on the forums and look for the best spring damper combo that people like, otherwise go with a good coilover like Tein and you'll never look back. My car will chip your teeth on a nasty bump, but there are zero oscillations after the impact. There is zero body roll, and turn in is very predictable and smooth. If you want to lower your car for looks, slap on the neuspeed springs and call it a day, if you want a quality ride go with somethng like Tein Basic, if you want to be able to adjust them step up to Tein SS or Flex or Apex'i WS. I had the off the shelf Tein SS on my AV6 and they were great for the style of driving I did with the car.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:22 PM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by rwong410
I heard that adjustable coilovers are stiffer than regular aftermarket springs thereby giving the car a bumpier ride than if I were to install just regular lowering springs. Is this true? Would getting some KYB GR-2's help? I heard that even with aftermarket shocks the ride would be bumpy because of the fact that the springs are adjustable coilovers and not just regular aftermarket lowering springs. What's your opinion? Thanks

I have kyb's and H&R springs. The ride is kinda stiff. Not bumpy at all.