Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhythmic squeak in right front wheel

Old 05-10-2006, 08:20 PM
2002Accord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhythmic squeak in right front wheel

My 2002 Honda Accord is making a noise that worries me.

When I'm puttering along with the radio off (and no kids in the car yammering), there is a slight tapping sound that speeds up as I accelerate. It started 6 or so months ago. That was the only unusual noise.

The last time I had service on the car, the front brake pads needed replacing. I think that after that, the noise (or another noise?) became more interesting.

When I put the brakes on very lightly, there is no change. When I put them on a little harder, the noise gets noticeably louder. It sounds like a rusty hinge going squeak squeak. It seems to be coming from the area of the left front wheel. When I put the brake on harder yet, the sound goes away all together. Making the sound louder with the brake can be real finicky. The brake pressure has to be just so.

I had the shop take a look-see and they couldn't see anything wrong with the brakes. They took them apart, inspected them and re-greased them. The sound continues. I had one person suggest that it could be the CV joint, but decided that since it didn’t make any extra noise while going around corners that that probably wasn’t it.

Any ideas (in layman's terms please)? Should I be worried about safety? I've had one person mention some sort of restraining clip that can tap, but this is a squeak, not a tap.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:19 AM
Big AL
Swollen Member

I don't get it, you said the last time you took your car in they said you needed new brake pads but the shop you took it to recently said nothing is wrong with your brakes?
:shrug:

I'd say replace your pads and the noise should go away. I'm on my third set of pads on my car and both times right before I replaced my pads, they made the same noises you described. It was weird at first because I thought worn out pads only made noises when you pushed down on the brake pedal but mine always made noises when driving, got progressively louder as I drove faster and would disappear altogether when I pushed the pedal down hard.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:34 AM
2002Accord

To summarize. Been hearing the noise for months. Took car in a month ago and had the front pads replaced. Still makes noise. Maybe, but not sure, the noise is a bit louder. Took it back to the shop and they inspected the left front brake and didn't find anything unusual.

Could they have put in the wrong type of pads or something? A suggestion that I received this morning is that the retaining clip could be loose, missing or damaged. Does this make sense?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Big AL
Swollen Member

Sorry, didn't realize you already had your pads replaced. I understood it to mean that you didn't but they needed to be replaced. It could very well be the retaining clips. It's worth checking out anyways. I had a clip that wouldn't hold the pad on very well once and I did something I probably shouldn't have done to fix it. The pad was somewhat loose and vibrating against the caliper whenever I was driving. It wasn't really that loud just annoying so I took the pad off and sprayed the backside of the pad with some rubberized undercoating from a can. I then reattached the pad and the sound went away. I don't recommend this but since you had your pads replaced at a shop then I would ask them to replace your retaining clips.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Baco95
that just ain't baaalla!

I have a similar issue…a slight squeaking at low speeds coming from the passenger side of the vehicle. The key thing is it happens while NOT braking….which leads me to believe that a simple pad replacement would not resolve the issue.

Just like you said, when I hit the brakes lightly (like just enough to turn the brake lights on...maybe a little harder), it gets louder. But, normal braking gets rid of the sound all together, and this started for me last summer AFTER I changed brake pads and rotors.

I have wasted over 120 bucks to get rotors resurfaced and pads greased, but it's still there. Without the radio on I hear it when just cruising slowly and it’s driving me insane.