Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 accord overheat

Old 04-27-2006, 12:31 PM
MORRISSEY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 accord overheat

I have a 96 Honda Accord ex vtec that overheats while sitting, but never overheat when i am driving, i also noticed when I am sitting and I have the heater on it does not over heat either but when i shut of the heater it overheats. Please help. Also does anyone have a diagram as to where the radiator fans are connected to.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:32 PM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Thermostat?
Old 04-27-2006, 01:09 PM
fstop128

thermostat is a good guess. it maybe getting stuck closed then opening up some. check for leaks at hoses and the thermostat housing. a common place for a leak is at the neck of the radiator up by the recovery tank hose. the radiator as it ages can come loose from vibration at the top and separate off the support. the top of the radiator is plastic. if the thermostat is stuck open the temp guage will be lower then normal and u wont get much if any heat. if its stuck closed u can over heat fast since the coolant isnt circulating.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:42 PM
lufkintravis

mine does the same (96 non VTEC) but my car always runs @ normal temp and only overheats sometimes. not losing any coolant though... also my fan comes on somtimes with the car off and keys out of the ignition, anyone else seen that?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:43 PM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Originally Posted by lufkintravis
mine does the same (96 non VTEC) but my car always runs @ normal temp and only overheats sometimes. not losing any coolant though... also my fan comes on somtimes with the car off and keys out of the ignition, anyone else seen that?
Check your oil...make sure you dont have a headgasket leak....you might have a tiny leak somewhere...it is normal for the fan to come on after the car is off
Old 05-02-2006, 10:40 AM
4cylinder4ever

check coolent levels.

Does the fan turn on while your sitting? if no the switch for the rad. fan temp sensor is out and needs to be replaced. usually right on the thermost. housing.

Thermostat could be the main problem. It's only a few dollars so get that done first. get a new o-ring while your at it too.

How old is your coolant? should be no more then 2 years. ( this is a recommandation since 1 year is what text books say you should change the fluid)
Old 05-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Big Chaze
Mr Clutch

You should also replace the fan switches just to be sure.
Troubleshooting them can be a PIA.