Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left CV boot needs replacement? HELP

Old 04-20-2006, 12:16 PM
carrwash13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left CV boot needs replacement? HELP

Hey,

I got my 94 Honda Accord Aligned today and the guy said my left CV boot needed to be replaced cause it was leaking oil really bad. I had my right one replaced earlier in the year and it cost me $170 labor and parts at a larger shop in Phoenix, AZ. This new smaller 2 man shop in flagstaff, AZ (much smaller town) quoted me $90 labor and parts. Should I be concerned that there's such a price difference? Also, any ideas on why there's such a difference?
Old 04-20-2006, 01:16 PM
semyonlibman

I see no big difference. Price for labor is about right. Parts will cost you about 30 dollars if you buy them yourself. Your mechanic will usualy charge you three times this price.

Sam
Old 04-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by carrwash13
Should I be concerned that there's such a price difference? Also, any ideas on why there's such a difference?
No, don't worry about it at all. I've worked in a couple shops, here is the difference:

1) Flat labour time: The time listed that it will take to do a certain job.
2) Labour rate: The price per hour they charge for repairs.
3) Shop supplies: small extra fee for oils, grease, rags, etc.

Say shop A charges 1.5 hours time at $90 an hour, plus $5 supplies. That's $140 plus parts (that is the average dealership price.)

Say shop B charges 1.0 hours at $55 an hour, plus $10 supplies. That's only $65 plus parts (average for bubba's generic auto shop.)

That is why it pays to shop around.