Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6th Gen Brake Job...front/rear

Old 04-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Accord1278

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6th Gen Brake Job...front/rear

I'll be doing a complete brake job (rotors/pads and drums/shoes) on my '98 Accord LX (I-4 w/ rear drums). I'll be flushing/bleeding the brake fluid as well.
- Should I just go to the local auto store and pick up the appropriate fluid type or get the fluid from the dealer?
- How much fluid should I pick up considering I'll be bleeding the brakes and replacing all of the old fluid.
- Also, would it be a good idea to replace the shims as well or don't bother (I got 78k miles on the car), if so, what's a good place to get them?
- Since I got drums in the rear, is it worth purchasing the hardware kit to replace the springs, etc. and if so, where's a good place to purchase it?

Thanks!!
Old 04-19-2006, 12:37 PM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Brake fluid doesn't have to be genuine Honda. DOT3 or DOT4 is OK. I generally get 2 quarts, & usually I don't have to open the 2nd bottle. But I've got 4 cars here so before long I'll use it anyway. Once you open the sealed bottle, brake fluid has the same 1 or 2 year shelf life just the same as if it's in the car.

Look at your new brake pads. Sometimes the shims are included. Sometimes the metal backing plates have a pad of some soft material glued on, then you don't need the shims. Get some anti-squeal goop to smear on the backing plates when you put it together.

Can you open the drums up ahead of time to look at the hardware? It's really hard to guess whether that stuff is rusty or what. Usually it's just really dirty from the brake dust. If the rear brakes have ever overheated, then you might want new stuff back there.